Whatbird Community

2 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

That's a cicada, mabye similar to the Platypedia I posted when I started the thread.

I see that now, thank you, I appreciate your help. This photo was taken in 2009, I should have check my ID again before posting it. 🙂

I'm on a roll...two corrections back to back...maybe I'll just post pictures without any names, lol!!!  😁

6 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

Thank you so much but it's okay, since there has been some conversation about the photos I'll just leave them as they are but I'll be more careful in the future. 🙂

OK! Next time just ask me and I'll be happy to help.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

It's not easily done but it's fun trying.

IMG_7440.thumb.jpg.8fde817ea691a8d40cc7c48d0c7061cb.jpg

Ah, the Black Saddlebags.  They've actually been known to perch on occasion.

Mature male Black Saddlebags

I too have experienced the joys of photographing dragonflies in flight.  Here's an attempt at a Riffle Darner.

Shadow selfie with dragonfly

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, lonesome55dove said:

Boreal Bluet Damselfly

P6011385......_0.jpg

Nice shot, but are you sure that's not a Northern Bluet?  They're very hard to tell apart--you need a high-res straight-down shot of the appendages on the tip of the abdomen, or so I read.  And both are found throughout the Pacific Northwest, and a lot of other places.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
range

1 hour ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Nice shot, but are you sure that's not a Northern Bluet?  They're very hard to tell apart--you need a high-res straight-down shot of the appendages on the tip of the abdomen, or so I read.  And both are found throughout the Pacific Northwest, and a lot of other places.

Thanks! No, I'm not 100% sure...it could be a Northern. I thought I had some more shots but I can not find them so must have deleted them...something I do often and then regret doing it. 🙂

• Like 1