Whatbird Community

Snow geese in Southern VT

Got these pics today of snow geese (I think).  They were at quite a distance, so the pics are highly cropped.  I called them snow geese in the field and that is still what I would call them as I can't come up with anything else they could be.  The thing that disturbs me a bit is the color of their bills and the fact that they seem large in comparison to the Canada's.  I'm thinking the beak color is maybe just a variation (I have seen dark beaks and usually orange, but don't think I have ever seen yellowish beaks).  If anyone can help me sort this out I would appreciate it.

i-LmbmRWD-L.jpg

i-3mKnnw5-L.jpg

i-MKTmk27-L.jpg

i-WXmmbCg-L.jpg

Edited by mfoster.vt

4 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Snow Geese, just weird looking ones.

They're not weird-looking, they're immatures.

4 hours ago, mfoster.vt said:

The thing that disturbs me a bit is the color of their bills and the fact that they seem large in comparison to the Canada's

The Canadas (no apostrophe necessary, since not possessive and not a contraction) are probably simply not referable to the Giant Canada Geese that are local breeders, but to smaller, migrant subspecies (perhaps canadensis).