Whatbird Community

Jaegers

Hi all, I'm having some trouble identifying these jaegers. Is anyone good at that?

Seen on a pelagic trip off the coast of Oregon last week. 

1. B&W barring underneath, pale belly, gonydeal angle near midpoint (?) - Long-tailed Jaeger?

44294016974_338933d60d_z.jpg

44101994585_a0e8b735ab.jpg

2. Blocky squarish head, long bill in relation to head makes me think Pomarine, but the uniform underwing makes me think Long-tailed.

44101994835_8668e61ed0_z.jpg

44101994665_5bf1282f3c_z.jpg

3. Gonydeal angle near tip, light belly, gray brown vent - Parasitic?

31140573838_f7a546f844_z.jpg

44101995055_57daa65a20.jpg

Link to all the photos if that's helpful here.

Edited by pdx_bird
  • Like 1

I've answered my own question by emailing one of the guides on the boat. 

Here's the response: 

#1 and #2 "The best field mark is the upper wing view.  See the white primary shafts on only the two outer primaries?  Diagnostic for LONG-TAILED. Thin bill also good, as is mouse brown back color." 

#3 "First, eliminate the one you easily can. Wing flash? Yes. That alone eliminates Long-tailed. Sharp longish tail eliminates Pomarine.  PARASITIC."

I was on the right track though missing some key characteristics. Very helpful tips! 

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 5:09 PM, pdx_bird said:

I've answered my own question by emailing one of the guides on the boat. 

Here's the response: 

#1 and #2 "The best field mark is the upper wing view.  See the white primary shafts on only the two outer primaries?  Diagnostic for LONG-TAILED. Thin bill also good, as is mouse brown back color." 

#3 "First, eliminate the one you easily can. Wing flash? Yes. That alone eliminates Long-tailed. Sharp longish tail eliminates Pomarine.  PARASITIC."

I was on the right track though missing some key characteristics. Very helpful tips! 

Nice job! I agree with him.

• Like 1