Whatbird Community

Best eBird Photos!

38 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

It looks like mud to me. Here are the other photos from the checklist.

https://ebird.org/australia/checklist/S128625464?view=photos

You can see a leaf at the base of its neck in the photo where it's neck is stretched out. I have no idea what the collar looking thing is, but there's a leaf on the left side of it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Hmmm. This makes me suspicious about if they were closer than they should’ve been. They could have been digiscoping, but I noticed that most if not all of the other photos from that checklist were taken with a normal camera. Why would one digiscope just one picture if they have a perfectly good camera, the other photos are just as good. But then again, why get closer to use a phone camera in the first place? There’s also a possibility they could just be saying that they used a phone to impress people. This is kinda sus IMO. Sorry for the long post.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Snake Fingers said:

Hmmm. This makes me suspicious about if they were closer than they should’ve been. They could have been digiscoping, but I noticed that most if not all of the other photos from that checklist were taken with a normal camera. Why would one digiscope just one picture if they have a perfectly good camera, the other photos are just as good. But then again, why get closer to use a phone camera in the first place? There’s also a possibility they could just be saying that they used a phone to impress people. This is kinda sus IMO. Sorry for the long post.

It's very hard to fake metadata, the photo was definitely taken on a phone. This appears to be on an island with massive breeding colonies of boobys, so it would be hard to not walk and be close to a nest. He was also probably there for research purposes, and likely was conducting some scientific research, as people usually don't visit and walk on offshore islands with breeding seabird colonies otherwise. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

It's very hard to fake metadata, the photo was definitely taken on a phone. This appears to be on an island with massive breeding colonies of boobys, so it would be hard to not walk and be close to a nest. He was also probably there for research purposes, and likely was conducting some scientific research, as people usually don't visit and walk on offshore islands with breeding seabird colonies otherwise. 

Thanks. I was a little confused.