Whatbird Community

Review Bombing

5 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

don't zoom in to rate photo

Ok, that’s fine. But, do you agree that sharpness is one of the most important things to rating? If yes,

Sharpness  is best evaluated by zooming in to 100 percent, and if it’s still pretty clear p, it’s sharp. That might not work for this image, but I think in future, you should zoom in. 

12 hours ago, IKLland said:

Ok, that’s fine. But, do you agree that sharpness is one of the most important things to rating? If yes,

Sharpness  is best evaluated by zooming in to 100 percent, and if it’s still pretty clear p, it’s sharp. That might not work for this image, but I think in future, you should zoom in. 

Do you look at works of art with a magnifying glass?  While I agree that sharpness is needed for a good image, pixel peeping is equivalent to using a magnifying glass to look at a painting that is usually viewed from feet away, not inches. Yeah it will show you if it's TACK SHARP, or tack sharp, or SHARP, or sharp, etc, etc, but it will also exaggerate the flaws making something that's not really visible, like subtle noise, look magnified to unacceptable levels. TACK SHARP focus is not needed to have a nice sharp photo, if it was I would have given up on photography years ago, maybe I should have. 😄  I too check the sharpness of MY photos when I sort them for editing but I don't go around zooming in on every photo I view to pixel peep other people's work, unless of course there's a big commotion on here about how a photo on ebird is under or over rated. 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As for rating photos, I think EVERYONE should rate photos on how good or bad they think the photo is based on the guidelines ebird has set. I do not think ANYONE should rate a photo based on how good or bad other people think the photo is. Over or under rating a photo based on it's current rating in order to manipulate that rating just doesn't sit well with me. I think a photo should be rated for the photo, not the rating, and the suggested guidelines should be applied the same to ALL photos.

• Like 6

21 hours ago, IKLland said:

I agree that being in focus is very important for why I view Macaulay images.  When I'm using them as lD references, I looking at either the entire bird or large sections of it; I'm not interested in  individual feather shafts.  As long as those large areas are visually distinguishable, that's 'sharp' enough for me to not knock off any rating points.

I would say sharp isn't an artistic requirement either.  If it was, Pointillism and Impressionism wouldn't be popular, and examples of the styles wouldn't be considered masterpieces. 

I'll agree that if I'm choosing between keeping two of my photos, and most other considerations being equal, I'll zoom in and keep the sharper one.  Since I rate each Mac photo individually on its own merits, comparing sharpness doesn't come into play.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Seanbirds said:

Why?!!?

I don't know, I'm just not a photographer and I don't really understand about it either. I've made a few half-hearted attempts to try in the past, but sometimes photography seems almost like a requirement for being a birder, especially since there are so many awesome photographers on here.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I don't know, I'm just not a photographer and I don't really understand about it either.

That’s fine.

7 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

but sometimes photography seems almost like a requirement for being a birder

It’s definitely not, BUT…

8 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

especially since there are so many awesome photographers on here.

I get that.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Do you look at works of art with a magnifying glass?  While I agree that sharpness is needed for a good image, pixel peeping is equivalent to using a magnifying glass to look at a painting that is usually viewed from feet away, not inches. Yeah it will show you if it's TACK SHARP, or tack sharp, or SHARP, or sharp, etc, etc, but it will also exaggerate the flaws making something that's not really visible, like subtle noise, look magnified to unacceptable levels. TACK SHARP focus is not needed to have a nice sharp photo, if it was I would have given up on photography years ago, maybe I should have. 😄  I too check the sharpness of MY photos when I sort them for editing but I don't go around zooming in on every photo I view to pixel peep other people's work, unless of course there's a big commotion on here about how a photo on ebird is under or over rated. 😉

Thanks. Guess I was overthinking this. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, lonestranger said:

As for rating photos, I think EVERYONE should rate photos on how good or bad they think the photo is based on the guidelines ebird has set. I do not think ANYONE should rate a photo based on how good or bad other people think the photo is. Over or under rating a photo based on it's current rating in order to manipulate that rating just doesn't sit well with me. I think a photo should be rated for the photo, not the rating, and the suggested guidelines should be applied the same to ALL photos.

Thanks for this, that really helps. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BirdNrd said:

Someone rated this photo a 1. What do you think? 4 or 5?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/390722291

2400?__hstc=264660688.4922b5ed8373a99132

I’m on the phone but at least a four. 

53 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I don't know, I'm just not a photographer and I don't really understand about it either. I've made a few half-hearted attempts to try in the past, but sometimes photography seems almost like a requirement for being a birder, especially since there are so many awesome photographers on here.

Don’t let that prevent you from rating photos.  Just read Macaulay’s rating criteria and join in!

https://support.ebird.org/en/support/solutions/articles/48001064392-rating-media#RatingPhotos?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1