Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Review Bombing


Recommended Posts

27 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

@IKLland Do you have access to a phone? The reason I ask is because Lightroom ( a photo editing app) is free for mobile, and it’s really helpful to adjust stuff like exposure, cropping, etc. I just found out about this a couple months ago, wish I had known sooner myself!

Yes, I am thinking about getting photoshop. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

Sharpness and lighting alone would get a 4 or even a 5 from me, but composition isn’t so great.

Yes, the whites in the photo are clipping (too bright) as the photo is overexposed. Overexposed photos are not pleasant on the eye.

It's a decent photo, but it's not super sharp either and the bird is simply floating in the water, there is nothing eye catching or interesting about the habitat around the bird. Not a bad photo, but not a 5 at all. I say a solid 3.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is an interesting topic. I have long suspected a local birder review bombs some of my better photos. Since there is nothing I can do about it, I tend not to care at all.

But one photo bugs me. This is the best picture I have taken of a Song Sparrow, and in my opinion, meets all the criteria for a 5, but it's rated at a 4. Not a huge deal, but it was at 5 for awhile until someone dropped it down to a 3, and then other reviews have brought it back up to a 4.

I tend to be my own harshest critic when it comes to photos, and often rate them lower than others do, but this one just sticks out to me. 

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/239947381#_ga=2.125903373.1041670487.1615355722-635920480.1580272015

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DLecy said:

This is an interesting topic. I have long suspected a local birder review bombs some of my better photos. Since there is nothing I can do about it, I tend not to care at all.

But one photo bugs me. This is the best picture I have taken of a Song Sparrow, and in my opinion, meets all the criteria for a 5, but it's rated at a 4. Not a huge deal, but it was at 5 for awhile until someone dropped it down to a 3, and then other reviews have brought it back up to a 4.

I tend to be my own harshest critic when it comes to photos, and often rate them lower than others do, but this one just sticks out to me. 

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/239947381#_ga=2.125903373.1041670487.1615355722-635920480.1580272015

I just gave it 5🙃

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

I just gave it 5🙃

Ha, thanks. Just thought I would post here to see what others think. If it's a 4, it should stay a 4. That's the beauty of having so many people able to vote on media via eBird/Macaulay, a photo generally gets the rating it deserves, over time. Ironically, one of my other SOSP photos is rated higher and I think it's a much less appealing photo. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Ha, thanks. Just thought I would post here to see what others think. If it's a 4, it should stay a 4. That's the beauty of having so many people able to vote on media via eBird/Macaulay, a photo generally gets the rating it deserves, over time. Ironically, one of my other SOSP photos is rated higher and I think it's a much less appealing photo. 

Yeah, that’s why it’s good to give the Maculary links here so you can get ratings. For some reason, @Connor Cochranes photos get like 50 ratings, and I rarely get more than 3, even if they are 4 or 5 Star quality. Like this

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/322008231#_ga=2.145004401.493979990.1617836790-1955318793.1592873967

Edited by IKLland
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IKLland said:

Yeah, that’s why it’s good to give the Maculary links here so you can get ratings. For some reason, @Connor Cochranes photos get like 50 ratings, and I rarely get more than 3, even if they are 4 or 5 Star quality. Like this

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/322008231#_ga=2.145004401.493979990.1617836790-1955318793.1592873967

I think the I mentioned this previously, but before a photo "takes off" and gets on the front page, it needs about 6-8 five star ratings it seems. A good one of mine gets that via this website and the many profile stalkers I seem to have.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I think the I mentioned this previously, but before a photo "takes off" and gets on the front page, it needs about 6-8 five star ratings it seems. A good one of mine gets that via this website and the many profile stalkers I seem to have.

Weird. I can’t get more than 3 ratings from people here on single photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I've noticed that too. At one point all my photos were being rated one star, but I don't really care.

🤷‍♂️

As a totally unrelated point, I wonder why Matt Davis doesn't bird in Marin much anymore? His photos were always really fun to look at. Still haven't encountered him in the field, though.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?userId=USER602690&user=Matt Davis

Edited by DLecy
typo
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DLecy said:

🤷‍♂️

As a total unrelated point, I wonder why Matt Davis doesn't bird in Marin much anymore. His photos were always really fun to look at. Still haven't encountered him in the field, though.

https://ebird.org/media/catalog?userId=USER602690&user=Matt Davis

I agree, he had great photos. I wonder if he used to live here then moved out. I don't recall ever meeting him, though I'm bad at connecting faces to names, so who knows.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/4/2021 at 2:18 PM, Aaron said:

But yeah, I think the major and more frequent problem with ebird ratings is a lot of the time really good photos/audio go unrated. Not that it matters too much again, but seems unfair that some birders can be completely ignored. 

Totally agree. Virtually no interest in photos or ratings locally, far more listers than birdographers (OTOH it keeps down the competition 🙂). I've started searching out decent photos by other local birders that have been ignored and giving them a bump.

As a test case for my rating objectivity this is one of mine that received no ratings at the time. I am pretty sure what rating it should be but it would be interesting to get some other opinions. PLEASE - no more than five or six ratings, just enough to establish a reliable rating. Just doing this will push it into the top County photos (typically one 5 or a couple of 4s will do this, highlighting the lack of interest).

https://ebird.org/species/amtspa/L3841142

I wonder if it would have been better if eBird had used a 1 to 10 star system. With a small number of ratings the ability to give a 9 (so many photos seem to fall between a 4 or 5) might be helpful. With a large number of ratings I think it gets resolved as the photos with a resultant 5, based on mostly 5s, come out ahead of a 5 with more of a mix of 4s and 5s.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Sharpness

What kind of device or you on? Phone, ipad thingy, laptop, or computer?

I'm curious because on a phone the sharpness is good, but on a larger screen it not so great.

Edit: I didn't see the next page, @DLecy
explained it very well.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Trevor L. said:

Not trying to start an argument here, but I'm curious what criteria you're 'grading' based on. To me, that could be a three or four.

@DLecy gave a good answer.  I'd give it a 4 if it was exposed properly and the bird was farther to the right in the frame and the only thing lacking was the sharpness and a good angle.  It would be a 5 if the exposure was correct, the composition/angle was better, and the bird was tack sharp.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll just say that it is very difficult to get a 5-star photo using a point-and-shoot with a small sensor.  It can be done, but I haven't seen many.

This is the best that our point-and-shoots could do:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/39356540674/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/32496910882/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/32496910882/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/41884294314/

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

What kind of device or you on? Phone, ipad thingy, laptop, or computer?

I'm curious because on a phone the sharpness is good, but on a larger screen it not so great.

Edit: I didn't see the next page, @DLecy
explained it very well.

iPad thingy. 😉

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'll just say that it is very difficult to get a 5-star photo using a point-and-shoot with a small sensor.  It can be done, but I haven't seen many.

This is the best that our point-and-shoots could do:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/39356540674/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/32496910882/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/32496910882/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/birdnuts/41884294314/

are you saying that you currently use a point and shoot or used to have one an are showing what they did?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...