Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Review Bombing


Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

Disclaimer: not trying to get people to rate my photos higher!

I figured I’d ask you guys why these two of my photos are rated 4 stars. Again I’m not asking for higher/more ratings, I just want to know why and how to rate photos better especially mine, since I took them and probably would be biased for that reason. Thanks!

1. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/366576231

2. https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/358601371

1. Most people here tend to lower a star if the whole bird isn’t in the photo, I don’t, however that may explain it. I’d still give it a four due to the lack of fine feather detail. 
 

2. The lighting is a little flat, and it seems a tad underexposed. There also is a small lack of crisp feather detail. 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, IKLland said:

1. Most people here tend to lower a star if the whole bird isn’t in the photo, I don’t, however that may explain it. I’d still give it a four due to the lack of fine feather detail. 
 

2. The lighting is a little flat, and it seems a tad underexposed. There also is a small lack of crisp feather detail. 

 

OK, thank you! I will keep that in mind.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, PalmWarbler said:

Do you mean for my Marsh Wren? I was thinking that.

Yes. 

for the gull I would guess that since it’s a headshot, more feather detail would be preferable. Which is harder when the sun isn’t directly on it (for me at least)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

Apparently some people have been enjoying bombing tons of @Birding Boy's photos. 😒 These are only 3 of them.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/377279671

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/330675061

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/353079551

Yeah, Idk, maybe I'll just re-upload them at some point. Annoying and sure isn't helpful for the database, but not much I can do about it, It pretty much happens to all of my photos. Like, it will have 40 ratings, but someone else's photo with 10 rates will be ahead of it. Ah well, hopefully eBird develops something that will counter this at some point...or people can stop being weird, Lol.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just discovered this thread.....soo....Well anyways I do agree with the fact some people bomb photos. I have watched so many amazing photos on ebird get bombed. Here are 2 checklist that I feel I got bombed on. (The Red Knot in the first and Juncos in the second) I think I have more Red Knot ones. I should upload them. I guess I'll do that later.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S94097962

https://ebird.org/checklist/S93404334

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Tanager 101 said:

I just discovered this thread.....soo....Well anyways I do agree with the fact some people bomb photos. I have watched so many amazing photos on ebird get bombed. Here are 2 checklist that I feel I got bombed on. (The Red Knot in the first and Juncos in the second) I think I have more Red Knot ones. I should upload them. I guess I'll do that later.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S94097962

https://ebird.org/checklist/S93404334

Those all seem pretty fair to me, except the last junco on the second list.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IKLland said:

Personally, I think this fits the criteria for a five. What do you think?

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/417787801

I give a five if I immediately say 'Wow'!  This is a great photo but I didn't have a 'Wow!' moment.  Four, but 37 other people don't agree with me.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I give a five if I immediately say 'Wow'!  This is a great photo but I didn't have a 'Wow!' moment.  Four, but 37 other people don't agree with me.

Why though? Its sharp, pretty well lit, and well composed overall, so certainly a 5 by eBird's guidelines. While I agree there's a huge range of photos being rated fives and some are undoubtedly better than others and more likely to elicit more admiration, doesn't mean the others should be down rated. Just my 2 cents...maybe I'm missing something.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

doesn't mean the others should be down rated.

I don't consider four to be down rated.  

1 hour ago, Birding Boy said:

Its sharp, pretty well lit, and well composed overall,

Yep.  It's an outstanding shot of coots on the water.  To me, there's nothing that takes it to the next level.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...