Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Review Bombing


Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Unrelated to any previous posts in this thread, but I thought it wasn't possible for others to rate (or even see) an unconfirmed photo.

I don't use eBird so I am just grasping at straws here, but I wonder if unconfirmed bird photos can be shared and rated by simply sharing a link to the photo before confirmation is made. The photo might not show up in eBird until confirmation but a link directly to an unconfirmed bird photo would still take you to that photo, wouldn't it? I'm not sure if the rating option would be there, but the link should still work, I think. Just tossing out ideas with nothing more than my imagination to base them on.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I don't use eBird so I am just grasping at straws here, but I wonder if unconfirmed bird photos can be shared and rated by simply sharing a link to the photo before confirmation is made. The photo might not show up in eBird until confirmation but a link directly to an unconfirmed bird photo would still take you to that photo, wouldn't it? I'm not sure if the rating option would be there, but the link should still work, I think. Just tossing out ideas with nothing more than my imagination to base them on.

When someone enters a checklist in eBird, that person can add photos audio to each species in the checklist.  He or she can see them whether they confirmed or not, but I recall others viewing a checklist cannot see an unconfirmed species or its attached photos.  For example, you should not see the unconfirmed Egyptian Goose on this checklist of mine:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S67828413

When you add photos or audio to an eBird checklist, they're also automatically added to Cornell's online Macaulay Library.  It's a collection of all media that's added to eBird checklists, with 37 million media files.  It's a separate application from eBird, with different capabilities, including the option for viewers to rate photos.  A photo that's unconfirmed in eBird is tagged as unconfirmed in Macaulay too.  My understanding was that unconfirmed photos in Mac had the same rules applied to them as eBird, that the anyone other than the person posting the list would not be able to see them until they were confirmed.  If that's the case, people shouldn't be able to rate them if they indeed can't actually see them.  If that's the case, you shouldn't be able to see (or rate) this currently unconfirmed photo, regardless of whether you reach it from the original checklist, a search within Mac, or a link shared elsewhere (like this one).

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/435846931

Edited by Charlie Spencer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

When someone enters a checklist in eBird, that person can add photos audio to each species in the checklist.  He or she can see them whether they confirmed or not, but I recall others viewing a checklist cannot see an unconfirmed species or its attached photos.  For example, you should not see the unconfirmed Egyptian Goose on this checklist of mine:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S67828413

When you add photos or audio to an eBird checklist, they're also automatically added to Cornell's online Macaulay Library.  It's a collection of all media that's added to eBird checklists, with 37 million media files.  It's a separate application from eBird, with different capabilities, including the option for viewers to rate photos.  A photo that's unconfirmed in eBird is tagged as unconfirmed in Macaulay too.  My understanding was that unconfirmed photos in Mac had the same rules applied to them as eBird, that the anyone other than the person posting the list would not be able to see them until they were confirmed.  If that's the case, people shouldn't be able to rate them if they indeed can't actually see them.  If that's the case, you shouldn't be able to see (or rate) this currently unconfirmed photo, regardless of whether you reach it from the original checklist, a search within Mac, or a link shared elsewhere (like this one).

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/435846931

It may be a timing thing, but I can see both Egyptian Goose images from the checklist, and the Cap May Warbler which has three ratings so far. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

It may be a timing thing, but I can see both Egyptian Goose images from the checklist, and the Cap May Warbler which has three ratings so far. 

Nah, the goose has been up for a couple of years.  Maybe I'm wrong (again) about unconfirmed being hidden from others.  I'm used to it.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

 Maybe I'm wrong (again) about unconfirmed being hidden from others.  I'm used to it.

To use your previous library reference, I am thinking that uploading a photo to eBird is like putting a book/photo on the shelf in a library/eBird, but the librarian/eBird hasn't entered the info into the catalog yet. The book/photo is available to anyone who knows what shelf it's on, but that information isn't public knowledge so it's basically hidden, except for those who know where to look or those who are told where to look. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

To use your previous library reference, I am thinking that uploading a photo to eBird is like putting a book/photo on the shelf in a library/eBird, but the librarian/eBird hasn't entered the info into the catalog yet. The book/photo is available to anyone who knows what shelf it's on, but that information isn't public knowledge so it's basically hidden, except for those who know where to look or those who are told where to look. 

Well, they're accepted now.  I knew they would be eventually, I was just surprised people had been able to rate them.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...