Whatbird Community

Happy Easter! Happy Spring!

Clip

9 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

How’d you do that?!?

I made an animated GIF file using multiple still shots. All you need is two or more shots that are framed the same way, (think tripod) and software that combines the images into a GIF. For this GIF, the rabbit had been eating dandelion leaves and I just kept shooting after the leaves were gone. I took dozens of shots and picked a handful of the them and played around with the sequence and timing until I ended up with a rabbit that looks to be talking. There are various websites that allow for making GIFs online, or you might have to download software if you don't already have it. Photoshop can be used to make GIFs and some other photo editing programs may have that ability too. There's lots of tutorials on youtube for making GIFs, just be aware that some of the programs are designed to work with video files instead of still images.

Here's a simple GIF with just two photos.

NuthatchChickadee.gif.2316af339c9b6b037888e6b04df66bc5.gif

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

How’d you do that?!?

I should have also mentioned that a tripod AND burst mode are recommended for GIFs like the rabbit. The more frames you can capture, the wider your options are when deciding the sequence, which doesn't necessarily have to be in the same order the photos were taken. You can also use the same image in multiple locations within the GIF or repeat the same image multiple times to simulate a change in speed. As an example...if I capture two, (or more), shots in burst mode with a bird perched on a branch and one shot has the bird looking left(L) and in the other shot the bird has turned it's head to the right(R) I can use those two shots to make the bird turn it's head L(left) and R(right) and keep it simple, a bird turning it's head L,R,L,R,L,R,L,R....etc. I could also get creative and have the bird look L,R,L,R,L,R,L,L,L,L,L,R,L,L,R,R,R,L,R,L, or any other arrangement I wanted to make the bird seem more animated, if that makes sense.

Now, having said that, burst mode is not always necessary, as you can tell by the GIF of the Nuthatch transforming into a Chickadee and back again just by turning it's head back and forth. In that case I had the camera set up on the tripod and was shooting birds all around the yard, it just so happened that the two birds had posed on the same perch, which left me with two very similar shots taken minutes apart. You'll notice the branch doesn't line up perfectly from one shot to the next and the lighting changes, but it was close enough to have some fun with.

• Like 2