Whatbird Community

seen today in central nc

hoping to get an id on these 2 birds.  the first one (labled wevi) i believe is a white-eyed vireo. i have an almost identical recording from the same place a couple days ago labled as a wevi, and while i dont remember making the recording i usually dont label them with an id unless i actually saw it making that sound.

the second one (labeled bhvi) im guessing is a blue-headed vireo. a couple days ago and today in the exact same spot this bird made this noise and song sleuth comes up with bhvi in the top 3 for multiple recordings. unfortunately i didnt get a good look at it. while i was reviewing other recordings of the bhvi  to see if it matched, the bird responded to the playback (after several minutes of silence).

thanks!

wevi20210402_101408.wav bhvi20210402_103127.wav

5 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Curious what about either BHVI song or your second recording would make you think Blue-headed Vireo for that one.

only that song sleuth keeps coming up with bhvi (and not wevi) in the top 3 of all the recordings, like i said in the op. additionally, im terrible with warbler sounds so i depend heavily on yall here and song sleuth. and anyone who's used song sleuth knows its.... 'faulty' .... often. but its the best ive got in the field /shrug

37 minutes ago, insanityslave said:

only that song sleuth keeps coming up with bhvi (and not wevi) in the top 3 of all the recordings, like i said in the op. additionally, im terrible with warbler sounds so i depend heavily on yall here and song sleuth. and anyone who's used song sleuth knows its.... 'faulty' .... often. but its the best ive got in the field /shrug

Not to self-plug, but I developed a website that is built to quiz you on bird songs, and I have a vireo page!

http://benguofilms.com/quiz.php

It's not necessarily aimed for beginners, but I've found a very effective way to learn a group such as warblers or vireos is to first listen closely to their songs on ebird, all the while trying to pick out certain elements that make that song unique, then start quizzing. I went from only knowing a few of the warbler songs just a couple months ago to knowing them all really really well, backwards and forwards.

While song slueth/merlin, etc. are great tools, you often don't actually learn that much by using them.

Edited by Hasan