Whatbird Community

Flycatcher Identification - Upper Texas Gulf Coast - 4-1-21

Photos attached of a Flycatcher that landed at Quintana, Texas park near coast on windy morning April 1 (gusts to 40 MPH). Was disheveled and exhausted so easy to photograph although sitting under foliage cover. I am guessing it is a Least Flycatcher but eye ring not as defined as normally witnessed on Leasts. Gray coloring with pale breast as normal with Leasts. Can someone confirm or correct? Empids worth review I believe so any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you!

2021.0401fc.r.Flycatcher.JPG

2021.0401fj.r.Flycatcher.JPG

2021.0401fm.r.Flycatcher.JPG

2021.0401ez.r.Flycatcher.JPG

Do you recall if it as pumping its tail downwards or sideways? Believe it or not, this can really help with empids( one of the hardest families to ID).

Edited by IKLland

Thanks all. To IKLland, I did not notice any tail movement, it was exhausted as near as I could tell. A couple other birders were present and agreed that it was apparently exhausted from flight over Gulf in high winds. It sat still, under some tree branches for several  minutes until an observer got too close which caused it to take flight.

I thought it could be Acadian or Least. As noted Empids are difficult to identify. Please let ,e know if there are any other ideas on this. Thank you!

50 minutes ago, Jim Highberger said:

I thought it could be Acadian or Least. As noted Empids are difficult to identify. Please let ,e know if there are any other ideas on this.

Definitely an Acadian.