Whatbird Community

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

I guess it could be a juvenile male as well.

@Tony Leukering Is there a term (technical or otherwise) for referring to birds where females and immature males share a similar plumage without resorting to a slash, e.g. female/immature male? This thread made me realize I tagged a couple of Northern Harrier pics yesterday as female which may not be correct. Wondering if there’s something better to use in such cases.

Edited by neilpa
13 minutes ago, neilpa said:

@Tony Leukering Is there a term (technical or otherwise) for referring to birds where females and immature males share a similar plumage without resorting to a slash, e.g. female/immature male? This thread made me realize I tagged a couple of Northern Harrier pics yesterday as female which may not be correct. Wondering if there’s something better to use in such cases.

"Female-plumaged" is used often enough and is appropriate in many cases. That being said, there is no option for this when tagging media in eBird, which it sounds like you are referring to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DLecy said:

"Female-plumaged" is used often enough and is appropriate in many cases. That being said, there is no option for this when tagging media in eBird, which it sounds like you are referring to.

There's an option to specify age and species on the checklist.  Also, if you tag a photo before uploading it, the tags -may- remain with the uploaded photo.

2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

There's an option to specify age and species on the checklist.  Also, if you tag a photo before uploading it, the tags -may- remain with the uploaded photo.

Correct, but what I think @neilpa was asking about is how you tag a bird that could be either an adult female or an immature male. This is the case with many bird species and there is no way to tag them as such in eBird media, unless you definitively know the age/sex of the bird. That's why I suggested using the term "female-plumaged."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, DLecy said:

That being said, there is no option for this when tagging media in eBird, which it sounds like you are referring to.

In this case, it was tags I use for organizing my personal photos library, not eBird uploads. Your “female-plumaged” suggestion will work well for what I do. Surprising that there isn’t a way to capture this in eBird.

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, neilpa said:

Surprising that there isn’t a way to capture this in eBird.

There is, in a way. Most eBirders do not use the age-sex table, and many that do, use it incorrectly due to not understanding various aspects of plumage. However, entering a Northern Harrier as age U, sex U essentially means that it's a brown harrier, at least if the bird was not just a distant speck.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, neilpa said:

Surprising that there isn’t a way to capture this in eBird.

There is, in a way. Most eBirders do not use the age-sex table, and many that do, use it incorrectly due to not understanding various aspects of plumage. However, entering a Northern Harrier as age U, sex U essentially means that it's a brown harrier, at least if the bird was not just a distant speck.

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

Ah, yes. The absence of certain information counts as important data as well. Great point.