Whatbird Community

Unknown Hawk (I think)

(NYC, 4/4/21 - 6 pm).   It was flying away from me against gray skies.  It "felt" like Red-tail Hawk, until I saw the video, which shows no color, and dark and light markings on body.   Then there's the bird which attacked from above, which I thought was a Crow; and maybe what looks like white wings (last one) is from the light? 

Included vid-caps both lightened and untouched, and in between.

Thanks!

2_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

2-untouched_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

3_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

6_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

7_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

attacking bird_Apr 4, 2021.JPG

2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Red-tailed Hawk, and a juvenile at that, with both being readily discerned by the size and shape of the translucent wing panel.

Thanks.  Unsure what you mean by "translucent."  The word means light comes through.  The poor lighting killed the entire ID for me.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm also unsure where this panel is located on the wing.

Since Krider's shows it best: ML318999941 Red-tailed Hawk (Krider's) Macaulay Library However, all juvenile Red-taileds exhibit a large wing panel that, on the upper surface, extends into the greater primary coverts, easily discerned on the above-linked juv Krider's.

The wing panel is, in most buteo species, restricted to the primaries. It is created by pale inner webs to those primaries and is seen best from beneath with light shining through those primaries (although quite obvious from above on most Krider's). The adults of two ABA-Area buteo species have wing panels: Ferruginous and Red-shouldered. Those of Ferrug are large, those of Red-shouldered are, like the ones on juv RSHAs, restricted to a comma in the outer primaries. Swainson's LACKS a translucent wing panel.

Red-shouldered -- adult  juv

Broad-winged

Ferruginous -- adult  juv

Zone-tailed

Short-tailed

Rough-legged

While most individuals of all buteo species replace all of their juvenile primaries during their second prebasic molt (taking place ~May-~Sep of their second calendar year), some do not manage it. In my experience, if they stop their primary molt, it's often between p7 and p8, leaving the the outer three juv primaries unmolted, as here. This appearance is a sure sign of a second-year individual.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Avery said:

Avery, I see what you're referring to, and I'm much appreciative of showing where to look on the wing.   But this vid-cap is a very poor example because of uneven lighting and distance (up to maybe 1/2 mile away; very long zoom lens).  The Hawk in this video starts out *looking* black, then at a much longer distance, it looks white (just as the top of the Crow's wings look white).   I'll be checking out the wings of the RTH's when they're close.