Whatbird Community

Never seen this type of flighless bir

Small to medium all black with small white patch on forehead really not skiddish fours toes that are gray seen at night no photo three toes in front with small fourth behind the three flightless almost chicken like body but also look like a quail body seen in McLean Illinois near ralroad tracks it looked like it was resting on gravel got within three to four feet of it so yeah never seen it here been here a year so yeah need help 

29 minutes ago, IKLland said:

What was it?

16 hours ago, Dwayne said:

Small to medium all black with small white patch on forehead really not skiddish fours toes that are gray seen at night no photo three toes in front with small fourth behind the three flightless almost chicken like body but also look like a quail body seen in McLean Illinois near ralroad tracks it looked like it was resting on gravel got within three to four feet of it so yeah never seen it here been here a year so yeah need help 

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

I think the plural of Killdeer is Killdeer... not sure though. @somebody smarter than me

By English rules, Killdeers would be correct. However, just like “titmice,” we have established an incorrect construction as the accepted plural (because the plural of “deer” is “deer). That is, the plural of “titmouse” should be “titmouses.”

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

By English rules, Killdeers would be correct. However, just like “titmice,” we have established an incorrect construction as the accepted plural (because the plural of “deer” is “deer). That is, the plural of “titmouse” should be “titmouses.”

Thanks for correcting me. I guess we can just say it either way.