Whatbird Community

Big Bend - Part 4 - Clueless

9 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

1-4 Vermillion Flycatcher

5 Rock Wren

6 House Sparrow

7 Townsends Solitaire 

8-9 Lark Bunting

I figured the first ones were a flycatcher, but in the book the Vermillion didn't seem that dark. I thought number 5 might be a Wren. Can't believe I didn't recognize number 6:( Would never have gotten the Solitaire. Thanks so much!!!

19 hours ago, jonesmunoz said:

I figured the first ones were a flycatcher, but in the book the Vermillion didn't seem that dark.

That’s an artifact of the exposure, the bird is in shadow, but the leaves are brightly lit. With the camera on auto, it will either balance the lighting creating a slightly underexposed bird or, possibly the situation here, read the light off the leaves, thus strongly under exposing the bird. The solution is to run on manual and purposefully overexpose by 2/3 or a full stop, resulting in the leaves being overexposed, but the subject bird being well lit.

19 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

5 Rock Wren

I’m not sold. On my phone, I don’t see any color on the under-tail covs. I’ll look again when I get home.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

That’s an artifact of the exposure, the bird is in shadow, but the leaves are brightly lit. With the camera on auto, it will either balance the lighting creating a slightly underexposed bird or, possibly the situation here, read the light off the leaves, thus strongly under exposing the bird. The solution is to run on manual and purposefully overexpose by 2/3 or a full stop, resulting in the leaves being overexposed, but the subject bird being well lit.

I’m not sold. On my phone, I don’t see any color on the under-tail covs. I’ll look again when I get home.

Actually, I shot in manual mode all the time, but will have to learn better about overexposing some shots as you explained.

I am interested to hear what you think about pic 5

thanks