Whatbird Community

9 minutes ago, Hasan said:

The bill does not look sufficiently stubby, therefore it's a Canada.

I've learned that bill size is never 100% reliable for Cackling. This is best left as Canada/Cackling, in my opinion.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Trevor L. said:

I've learned that bill size is never 100% reliable for Cackling. This is best left as Canada/Cackling, in my opinion.

No, this is best identified as Canada. What do you mean bill size is not reliable?

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

What would the subspecies be for Canada goose then? It is so tiny. 
I can put it has Canada/Cackling as a place holder, but that also will get flagged. 
Edit—Ha I guess Cackling is not rare here, but rather uncommon. Not that it matters. When I put in the actual location it unflagged it. So Cackling goose is not marked as rare, but the Cackling/Canada is. 

Edited by Aaron
1 hour ago, Hasan said:

No, this is best identified as Canada. What do you mean bill size is not reliable?

I mean I’ve seen birds identified as Cackling with bills in the longer side and birds identified as Canada with bills on the shorter side. There’s an overlap and I’ve seen it, and this bird seems to fit in that overlap.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, Aaron said:

So Cackling goose is not marked as rare, but the Cackling/Canada is. 

Don’t let the filter discourage you from using the “slash” option. If you are unsure it’s better to leave unidentified.

I personally wouldn’t call that bird a Cackler. It’s definitely smaller and shorter-necked than nearby Canadas, but it’s not a Cackler. It could be a smaller subspecies of Canada (like, a canadensis group bird mixed in moffitti/maxima). Or as Tony suggests there’s the possibility of a hybrid. Using the “Canada/Cackling” option seems fitting here. Although if I had to put a name on it, I’d call it Canada.

• Like 2

I put it as the slash and my reviewer said to change it to cackling. Hoping I can find it again to get better looks, but I do agree the bill is not stubby. Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I have to go study up on Canada goose subspecies 😬

19 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I put it as the slash and my reviewer said to change it to cackling. Hoping I can find it again to get better looks, but I do agree the bill is not stubby. Thanks for the input everyone. I guess I have to go study up on Canada goose subspecies 😬

That is very strange. As a midwesterner, I see hundreds of Cacklers every year, and that bill is just too long to be a Cackler. Tony Leukering also sees countless Cacklers every year living in CO, and is a foremost expert on bird ID, so....

Did you link your reviewer to this thread?

In the original posting of the Cackling/Canada, I mentioned the summary of what was said here. Something along the lines of “smaller than near by Canada’s with a shorter neck, but bill seems too long for Cackling.”

I guess it could be Taverner’s Cackling. The bill and head shape seems more Canada-like to me though but I have very limited experience with Taverner’s.

I’d leave that unidentified... even if I was told to call it a Cackling

• Like 2

I switched it to Cackling after she emailed me. She is very good, so she must have her reasons for saying so. I’ll be on the look out for it again as it wasn’t flying very high so it might still be around. 

No way this is a Cackler with that bill. I see tens if not hundreds of thousands of Cacklers each year in CO. Doesn’t look like a Tav either. Could be a CACG x CANG which there seem to be quite a few of among white-cheeked goose flocks. 

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Roseate Spoonbill

Hmm, I'm less sure. They don't normally get quite that far north on the west coast.

Screenshot_20210410-070647.thumb.png.d7408b9bc80e68c0bcf2c79cead902fd.png

Edited by PaulK
(Yes this is a joke)
  • Like 4

@PaulK Really not sure what you're on about here or what map you're looking at. As you can clearly see, Roseate Spoonbill is pretty well restricted to the Pacific coast, and it is common in Aaron's area. Pretty easy ID here, if you ask me.

image.thumb.png.069c9fba230e5832471c6da2f97fbb76.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 3