Whatbird Community

Yardbirds

10 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Can you make out the tag markings? It looks like HI to me, but 1H might make more sense if you look at it the other way.

The actual photo is better, the tag number is A5

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Greyhawk said:

Anybody interested in Condors that hasn't checked this out yet should do so.

Neee'n's (A5) father was Condor #90, hatched in 1993 at the Los Angeles Zoo. His father was Condor #1 of the project, hatched on January 1, 1966 in the wild and therefore obviously one of the 27 last surviving California Condors which were all captured in 1987 to start the captive breeding program that allowed the species to continue to exist.

I find this stuff fascinating, maybe it's just me. 😎

• Like 3

On 4/14/2024 at 9:52 AM, SirVive said:

Any guesses on #200?

On 4/14/2024 at 8:49 PM, Kevin said:

Not really. Almost certainly a migrant, either something rare or like the cormorant a water loving species. 

How about both, an uncommon migrant that likes water...

#200 Franklin's Gull

2024-05-0222_59.10ebird.org584a05ee45b6.thumb.jpg.29d9f28fc7593d077bc2ddc4353f7d72.jpg

• Like 4

On 5/3/2024 at 8:21 AM, kansabirdguy said:

Them be like everywhere here in migration...You probably have LAGU though.

I don't have LAGU up here, I'm pretty far inland for them(I'm about 350 miles from the coast)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Up to 162 with Orchard Oriole!  We've seen them in our neighbors' properties in years past but this morning there was one singing in the yard. 😁

That's a good yard bird for your state, I would think.

I recently went over all our yard observations, and determined that in our yard area (which includes nearby townhouses, none of which have fenced yards including mine), my wife and I have seen or heard 101 species (98 for me, 74 for her). Our most recent addition was a migrating Black-and-white Warbler last August that my wife spotted and I was able to see.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@lonestranger asked me recently about birds in my new yard, and I wondered how it compared to my old one.  I define 'yard' the same as most of you - if I'm on my property and I can see or hear it, it counts.

We were in our Lexington, SC, home for over 20 years.  It was in a neighborhood with few native trees (it was leveled when developed), adjacent to agricultural fields, in the middle of the state.    I defined the neighborhood patch as including the yard, the rest of the suburban subdivision, the adjoining farm pond and fields, and small freshwater marsh.

While we moved to Brunswick County, NC, in April, my parents have lived in this neighborhood part-time for almost 20 years, full-time for the last five.  We're moving into the house they built five years ago, so my life list for this properly includes weekend visits back to April 2019.  Here in coastal NC, the house on a small tidal marsh, adjacent to an estuary, in a neighborhood where it practically takes a 3/4 majority of both houses and writ from the Pope before you can cut down a tree.  Oaks, live oaks, and pines over 40 feet abound, even more so on the lots that haven't been build on yet.  Obviously, I'm getting wider range of backyard species and flyovers / flybys.  My neighborhood patch includes Mom and Dad's first and second houses, along with the neighborhood's two fishing piers, a freshwater pond, and small island of high ground in the middle of the tidal salt marsh.

So,

Lexington SC yard list - 87 species, 403 complete checklists, over 20 full-time years

Brunswick NC yard list - 72 species, 64 checklists, over 5 very-part-time years

Lexington County - 165 

Lexington SC neighborhood patch - 118 species, 527 checklists over 20 full-time years

Brunswick NC neighborhood patch - 109 species, 135 checklists over 20 part-time years.

Brunswick County - 135

I've recorded my last bird for the Lexington yard and patch.  We're Tarheels now, according to our drivers' licenses.  Time to get busy on the Brunswick yard and patch!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 7