Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Yardbirds


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...

Was able to add Cattle Egret onto my yard list this evening with an unexpected flyover, because that totally makes sense in December in Tennessee. According to Ebird, it's the state's 3rd December record ever, and the first one away from the Mississippi River. Pretty good yard bird, really! :)

CattleEgret-BradfordCircle-20211203-5921.thumb.jpg.5f3334867442d7e8108ef3216345e4f0.jpg

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

Was able to add Cattle Egret onto my yard list this evening with an unexpected flyover, because that totally makes sense in December in Tennessee. According to Ebird, it's the state's 3rd December record ever, and the first one away from the Mississippi River. Pretty good yard bird, really! 🙂

CattleEgret-BradfordCircle-20211203-5921.thumb.jpg.5f3334867442d7e8108ef3216345e4f0.jpg

Great! 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2021 at 7:39 PM, NorthernKeys said:

Was able to add Cattle Egret onto my yard list this evening with an unexpected flyover, because that totally makes sense in December in Tennessee. According to Ebird, it's the state's 3rd December record ever, and the first one away from the Mississippi River. Pretty good yard bird, really! 🙂

CattleEgret-BradfordCircle-20211203-5921.thumb.jpg.5f3334867442d7e8108ef3216345e4f0.jpg

Are its legs black, or is that just the lighting? Shape looks right for CAEG, just the leg color is throwing me for a loop;.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Avery said:

Are its legs black, or is that just the lighting? Shape looks right for CAEG, just the leg color is throwing me for a loop;.

Yeah, its legs are very dark, if not black. As far as I'm aware, this makes sense for their non-breeding plumage though. Here's a pic of one in Florida from January which also has black legs: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/81664721

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

Yeah, its legs are very dark, if not black. As far as I'm aware, this makes sense for their non-breeding plumage though. Here's a pic of one in Florida from January which also has black legs: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/81664721

Somehow I missed that their legs change color. You learn something new every day!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not new to my yard list, but we had a Purple Martin of all things fly by our yard yesterday. Extremely crazy sighting at this time of year. Just got confirmed today after having to rule out other martins, since they're probably almost as likely in December.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98522695

One bird that was new to my yard list today though was Herring Gull. :) Pretty overdue considering proximity to a large body of water, but better late than never!

HerringGull-BradfordCircle-20211206-6131.thumb.jpg.703895d51787c6b445b6631597107811.jpg

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

Not new to my yard list, but we had a Purple Martin of all things fly by our yard yesterday. Extremely crazy sighting at this time of year. Just got confirmed today after having to rule out other martins, since they're probably almost as likely in December.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98522695

One bird that was new to my yard list today though was Herring Gull. 🙂 Pretty overdue considering proximity to a large body of water, but better late than never!

HerringGull-BradfordCircle-20211206-6131.thumb.jpg.703895d51787c6b445b6631597107811.jpg

Nice!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

Not new to my yard list, but we had a Purple Martin of all things fly by our yard yesterday. Extremely crazy sighting at this time of year. Just got confirmed today after having to rule out other martins, since they're probably almost as likely in December.

https://ebird.org/checklist/S98522695

One bird that was new to my yard list today though was Herring Gull. 🙂 Pretty overdue considering proximity to a large body of water, but better late than never!

HerringGull-BradfordCircle-20211206-6131.thumb.jpg.703895d51787c6b445b6631597107811.jpg

Whoah, that Martin is awesome!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not really a yardbird, but yesterday was the first time we've ever had a Cackling Goose land in our yard instead of just flying over or landing in an adjacent agricultural field. The little guy looked pretty worn out and maybe a little sick. I think he flew down here to our property (pond especially) just so he could have a little private getaway from all the other geese (and in the less obnoxious company of our domestic ducks) so he can rest and recuperate. Checked this morning and he's still here. Happy to have him and is welcome to stay however long he likes.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2021 at 7:58 AM, Seanbirds said:

Not really a yardbird, but yesterday was the first time we've ever had a Cackling Goose land in our yard instead of just flying over or landing in an adjacent agricultural field. The little guy looked pretty worn out and maybe a little sick. I think he flew down here to our property (pond especially) just so he could have a little private getaway from all the other geese (and in the less obnoxious company of our domestic ducks) so he can rest and recuperate. Checked this morning and he's still here. Happy to have him and is welcome to stay however long he likes.

He's been gone for a while, but...

86818300_CacklingGoose.thumb.JPG.40d507c61f363216f1f7fe3d27544329.JPG

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...