Whatbird Community

Yardbirds

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/30/2021 at 5:33 PM, IKLland said:

If only i can find a flicker…..they’re my biggest nemesis.

As a novice birder in Colorado it seemed like there was a long time that Flickers and Downy Woodpeckers were all I'd ever see and I saw them all the time. Keep in mind that I started out completely on my own as a birder. I didn't realize there was a community of birders out there... As I began to realize this thanks to Whatbird.com I eventually expanded my horizons and found other species. But, more to the point this is a great example of location location location determining what is common in your area and what is not. Now living in Florida I rarely see them (6 or so in 3 1/4 years). But, I see Red-bellied Woodpecker allllll the time. In Colorado, I think I saw 5 or 6 Red-bellied Woodpeckers total. Which brings out another point that things change.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

The Black Vulture that flew over my yard today was my first new yard bird in close to 6 months. It was number 113 for the yard non-NFC. With NFC's my yard list is closer to 130 but I'd have to do the math later. 

NFC=Non-Fungible…Checklist?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, chipperatl said:

#155.... Golden-freaking Eagle!!!!

2400?__hstc=264660688.23b39e3c81600c85aa

Awesome bird!!! There's nothing like seeing one of those from your yard! Does anybody else on here have GOEA on their yard list beside from you and me? 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Awesome bird!!! There's nothing like seeing one of those from your yard! Does anybody else on here have GOEA on their yard list beside from you and me? 

1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I’ve had them two or three times, though not in the past two years. 

I’ve never seen one….

• Like 2