Whatbird Community

Shape of head typically determines difference between Greater and Lesser. Greater has rounded head like what appears in your pictures. Lesser has more of a peaked head, a bit more angular rear crown (above and back of eyes). I am not a waterfowl expert so hopefully someone else will chime in on this.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Here's a pillow case and a flashlight.  Shouldn't you be in the woods hunting snipes?

Sorry, but snipes are gone for the summer.

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sorry, but snipes are gone for the summer.

Nah, they're out there.  Go look!

Hold your pillowcase to the ground.  I'll go around the other side and herd them toward you.  We hunted them like that every summer when I was in Boy Scouts.   It helps if you whisper "Snipe-snipe!" every 10 or 15 seconds.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Nah, they're out there.  Go look!

Hold your pillowcase to the ground.  I'll go around the other side and herd them toward you.  It helps if you whisper "Snipe-snipe!" every 10 or 15 seconds.  We hunted them like that all the time when I was in Boy Scouts.

Herding sinpes, that is another first!

• Haha 1

Remember to shine your flashlight into the pillowcase.  The snipes will see the light and take refuge there.

Okay, it's good and dark now.  I'm going around and start herding them.  You just stay here with the case open and whispering 'Snipe'.  This is a big area and it may take a while to flush them back over here.  Just wait here and be patient...

<<several minutes of silence.  distant sound of pick-up starting, then fading away ...>>

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 1