Whatbird Community

Tundra swan is most likely for both birds. Trumpeter Swans are very rare in Colorado. Both your birds seem to be the same size. Trumpeter Swans and even Mute Swans are much larger than Tundra Swans so if you had two different species in your photos in would be evident. Mute can be ruled out by the shape of the bill. If you had any other photos with a different angle on the head it would be helpful for making a positive id.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Not really: Bar Charts - eBird

April swans are typically not TRUS, though, strongly suggesting that these are TUSWs. However, they don't really strike me as TUSWs. But then, I hate swans.

Actually I think your bar chart proves my point. Both Tundra and Trumpeter are rare in Colorado according to Sibley's. With experience and your bar chart as back up I think "very rare" works for Trumpeter but hey we can go with "rarer" if that would set your mind at ease. 

2 hours ago, Clip said:

Actually I think your bar chart proves my point. Both Tundra and Trumpeter are rare in Colorado according to Sibley's. With experience and your bar chart as back up I think "very rare" works for Trumpeter but hey we can go with "rarer" if that would set your mind at ease. 

I was looking at the two in relation to each other, as your first comment implied -- or, at least, I inferred -- that Trumpeter was less likely as Tundra was NOT "very rare." Also, if one peruses the Totals tab on that bar chart, one finds that the weekly totals for TRUS max at 465. I would not call that very rare. Personally, I would limit "very rare" to indicate a species that one does not expect to occur every year, but which might occur in most years in tiny numbers. In Colorado, I would consider species with occurrence parameters like Glaucous-winged Gull as very rare. That's my opinion, anyway, but terminology in bird occurrence is something of a personal interpretation.