Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Another bird flagged by ebird as...


Recommended Posts

Unconfirmed. So what is this bird? Taken 8-22-19 in Duval County, FL. I have no idea why I wasn't contacted about this bird if the id was wrong. I'm 99.9 percent sure my id is correct. There are no other reasons I can see for the flag regarding the checklist. So what the hell? A quote from ebird regarding flags:

Do reviewers have to send an email about every record? 

We strongly recommend that reviewers send everyone a follow-up email with the opportunity to improve their documentation, provide additional evidence, or fix errors on their checklists. Off my soap box!

007.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Traill's, unidentifiable to species from the photo. For the record, I rarely receive emails about my records. I try to get photos of all flagged birds, and for the most part everything gets confirmed, but really it depends on the reviewers, as well as the experience and standing of the individual reporting the sighting.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Clip said:

Why not Eastern Wood-Pewee? Which actually summers in Northeast Florida.

Just to name a few reasons,

1. No dusky vest

2. Short primary projection

3. Long legs

Edited by Hasan
Link to post
Share on other sites

Long legs? The primary projections don't work for Willow or Adler either. And field observation says (the person who actually saw the bird) found it too big over all to be a either flycatcher. Plus while the photo isn't the best angle for seeing a vest it does have one or I would not have called on the spot like I did.

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Clip said:

Long legs? The primary projections don't work for Willow or Adler either. And field observation says (the person who actually saw the bird) found it too big over all to be a either flycatcher. Plus while the photo isn't the best angle for seeing a vest it does have one or I would not have called on the spot like I did.

Sounds like you have made up your mind about what this bird is. Why post here then?

FWIW, I agree with Traill's. In addition to what has been stated, the bird has clean undertail coverts, and lacks any smudging/streaking in that region, typical of EAWP.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Sounds like you have made up your mind about what this bird is. Why post here then?

FWIW, I agree with Traill's. In addition to what has been stated, the bird has clean undertail coverts, and lacks any smudging/streaking in that region, typical of EAWP.

I will admit that I think my opinion makes a lot more sense but I actually saw the bird. I got good naked eye looks at the bird because it was close. What you can see of the undertail does not look that clean to me. The posture of this bird is consistent with a Wood-Pewee and the length of the bill certainly fits better than for a Alder or a Willow Flycatcher.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clip said:

I have no idea why I wasn't contacted about this bird if the id was wrong. 

 

15 minutes ago, Clip said:

I will admit that I think my opinion makes a lot more sense but I actually saw the bird. I got good naked eye looks at the bird because it was close. 

It seems to me that you've answered your own question based on your responses in this thread.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

the head shape and proportions (especially eye size)

I'm sorry but eye size is a step too far 😀 - bird size is still a major problem, at least for me 😟, although the habitat tip is a good one.

I'm sticking with primary projection for the foreseeable future.

@Clip FYI - it is extremely rare to receive an email (two in two years for me) from our local reviewers, the posting does not get accepted and it is up to the poster to take another look and revise as required.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I'm sorry but eye size is a step too far 😀 - bird size is still a major problem, at least for me 😟, although the habitat tip is a good one.

I'm sticking with primary projection for the foreseeable future.

@Clip FYI - it is extremely rare to receive an email (two in two years for me) from our local reviewers, the posting does not get accepted and it is up to the poster to take another look and revise as required.

Intersting. At least here in California, I'm emailed almost every time no matter what county I'm in. (I only think I wasn't emailed down in Far East riverside).

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Intersting. At least here in California, I'm emailed almost every time no matter what county I'm in. (I only think I wasn't emailed down in Far East riverside).

The Sacramento county Reviewers almost never email anyone.

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I'm sorry but eye size is a step too far 😀 - bird size is still a major problem, at least for me 😟, although the habitat tip is a good one.

Well, comparing the size of the eyes to the head is easier than trying to guess the size of the entire bird using the twigs it's sitting in!

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Well, comparing the size of the eyes to the head is easier than trying to guess the size of the entire bird using the twigs it's sitting in!

Can't argue with that - I just wish I got close enough to birds (other than Chickadees and Woodpeckers) to even judge the eye size. I've added it to my list of ID tips.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Intersting. At least here in California, I'm emailed almost every time no matter what county I'm in.

I don't recall a case here in SC when I wasn't contacted, but I'm pretty conservative about omitting birds I'm unsure of.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

At least here in California, I'm emailed almost every time no matter what county I'm in.

Alameda County almost never gets reviewed. I have never been contacted by the main reviewer for my county, though I have been contacted about birds in Alameda a couple times by reviewers from other counties when I made a wrong ID or had ambiguous documentation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Intersting. At least here in California, I'm emailed almost every time no matter what county I'm in. (I only think I wasn't emailed down in Far East riverside).

So almost every time you flip the rare bird alert you get an email!?!?!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Aidan B said:

The Sacramento county Reviewers almost never email anyone.

I need to reword that. 

" The Orange county Reviewers almost always email everyone."

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...