Whatbird Community

Keep in mind that entire checklists may be flagged if the location is not precise, for example. If it's just this individual species, however, I'm not quite sure why that would be flagged.

Posted (edited)

By the way some of these I knew were here. Others I was never contacted. Some I have fixed and I'm guessing it will take time to remove the flags.

Edited by Clip
1 hour ago, Clip said:

I checked. The entire checklist is not flagged.https://ebird.org/media/catalog?includeUnconfirmed=T,O&userId=USER510403&user=Cheri %26 Rich Phillips

Try this then click on the link for the checklist.

When I clicked that link, I saw only one photo.  It's labeled as 'Brant'.  The photo has three birds, and two are clearly Canada or Cackling.  I have only one Brant sighting myself and am not qualified to ID the third bird.  I didn't see the honkers at the top of this thread.

When I go to the checklist, I see nothing indicating there's anything anomalous about the list as a whole or any individual entries.  I do notice you didn't mention there are multiple species in the photo; maybe the reviewer saw the two Canada / Cacklers and missed the Brant?

I work under the theory that if I can find my sighting on the species' sighting map in eBird, that my sighting was accepted.  I equate that with 'confirmed'.

I also assume that if I can see an entry on someone else's checklist, that the sighting was accepted / confirmed.  For example, I assume you won't see an Egyptian Goose on this checklist of mine (and shouldn't):

https://ebird.org/checklist/S67828413#_ga=2.117139718.164519516.1618845664-2005030219.1591614605

Although I see it:

image.thumb.png.34682b7e01ebc5ed7380d0899cff670c.png

So summarizing, are you seeing anything odd in eBird itself, or only in Macaulay?  I've mistakenly assumed you were seeing flags on your eBird checklists themselves.  I don't know enough about Macaulay and what determines whether a photo gets tagged as 'Unconfirmed'.  It may be that Macaulay confirmation is an entirely separate process from eBird's, conducted by someone other than eBird's reviewers.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
11 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

When I clicked that link, I saw only one photo.  It's labeled as 'Brant'.  The photo has three birds, and two are clearly Canada or Cackling.  I have only one Brant sighting myself and am not qualified to ID the third bird.  I didn't see the honkers at the top of this thread.

When I go to the checklist, I see nothing indicating there's anything anomalous about the list as a whole or any individual entries.  I do notice you didn't mention there are multiple species in the photo; maybe the reviewer saw the two Canada / Cacklers and missed the Brant?

I work under the theory that if I can find my sighting on the species' sighting map in eBird, that my sighting was accepted.  I equate that with 'confirmed'.

I also assume that if I can see an entry on someone else's checklist, that the sighting was accepted / confirmed.  For example, I assume you won't see an Egyptian Goose on this checklist of mine (and shouldn't):

https://ebird.org/checklist/S67828413#_ga=2.117139718.164519516.1618845664-2005030219.1591614605

Although I see it:

So summarizing, are you seeing anything odd in eBird itself, or only in Macaulay?  I've mistakenly assumed you were seeing flags on your eBird checklists themselves.  I don't know enough about Macaulay and what determines whether a photo gets tagged as 'Unconfirmed'.  It may be that Macaulay confirmation is an entirely separate process from eBird's, conducted by someone other than eBird's reviewers.

Funny because there are several for me. I can see your Egyptian Goose. Some of the ones I have flagged are Whooper Swan, Black Swan but at a location in Orange County Florida where these species are counted and I know I have the ids correct.

18 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Although I see it:

You can see flagged and even unconfirmed species on others checklists. 

• Thanks 1

That's all I see.  If I change 'Recently Loaded' to 'Oldest First', this is still all I get.

But I'm back to asking, what does Macaulay mean by 'Unconfirmed'? What does it mean in terms of a checklist entry?  I'm wondering if you're expecting to hear from eBird reviewers on something they're not alerted to, and even if it's worth worrying about.

image.thumb.png.58c19b1ab1f83d42e2e4432600577196.png

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

That's all I see.  If I change 'Recently Loaded' to 'Oldest First', this is still all I get.

But I'm back to asking, what does Macaulay mean by 'Unconfirmed'? What does it mean in terms of a checklist entry?

Checklists and individual species on a checklist can be flagged by a reviewer. If the checklist is flagged, all the media will be unconfirmed.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

But I'm back to asking, what does Macaulay mean by 'Unconfirmed'? What does it mean in terms of a checklist entry?

This photo the Brant is in the middle and it was mislabeled as Brant Black bellied should have been just Brant or Brant (Black). I fixed it so hopefully the flag will go away but who knows...

12 minutes ago, Clip said:

This photo the Brant is in the middle and it was mislabeled as Brant Black bellied should have been just Brant or Brant (Black). I fixed it so hopefully the flag will go away but who knows...

What do you see at that link?  Apparently you don't see the same thing I do.

17 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Checklists and individual species on a checklist can be flagged by a reviewer. If the checklist is flagged, all the media will be unconfirmed.

Okay, but is that the only way?  I don't necessarily expect an answer, just raising the possibility there are other actions that can result in 'Unconfirmed' besides a reviewer's flag.

59 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Okay, but is that the only way?  I don't necessarily expect an answer, just raising the possibility there are other actions that can result in 'Unconfirmed' besides a reviewer's flag.

Yes other people can report a photo that they think is miss ided. The reviewers are then suppose to contact the person and ask them to correct the problem. If the id is correct the the reviewer should remove the flag.

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

What do you see at that link?  Apparently you don't see the same thing I do.

I see a few escaped game birds flagged. Some domestic mute swans. Some swans like Whooper Swan and Black Swan flagged but from a park where they are known to be breeding. They use to show up on my Florida needs list in alerts. Yet for some reason some of mine are flagged. I have been there twice none from the first visit are flagged. I see what I think is an Eastern-wood Pewee flagged. I have a couple of gulls flagged. (I suck at gulls) but I am improving.  Some from a trip where the shared list showed 20 miles. I don't recall what happen there but I fixed it. The Canada Geese above are there. I have a Hoary Redpoll photo that is flagged. They contacted me once asking questions but then didn't follow up. The ones that chap my hide are the ones where I wasn't contacted at all. One I think they don't like my hotspot choice but they don't actually show that flag. Instead the photos are flagged. Again, no one contacted me. It was my first there so I can't even fix as I'm not sure exactly where we were. If they contacted me like they are suppose to I could edit the entry and put where they want. I have had similar incident in a different reviewers territory they contacted me I moved my location baloon where they asked thank them and problem solved more usable data for ebird. Sadly, not all ebird reviewers are good at their job. And yes I know they are voluteers but if you can't do they job well do not volunteer.

Would you paste the link to the eBird checklist with the Canadas in question?  Not to Macaulay but the checklist itself.

And would you paste a screenshot of the filter settings you're using in Macaulay when you see all these 'Unconfirmed' that I'm not seeing?

Sorry if I'm coming across as analytical.  I'm a network administrator and I've shifted into troubleshooting mode.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Would you paste the link to the eBird checklist with the Canadas in question?  Not to Macaulay but the checklist itself.

And would you paste a screenshot of the filter settings you're using in Macaulay when you see all these 'Unconfirmed' that I'm not seeing?

Sorry if I'm coming across as analytical.  I'm a network administrator and I've lapsed into troubleshooting mode.

I will try but first you are going to have to tell how to get a screen shot. I am a dinosaur when it comes to keeping up with tech.

12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Sorry if I'm coming across as analytical.  I'm a network administrator and I've shifted into troubleshooting mode.

I took a photo. You can see the flag in the lower left.

002.JPG

For what little it's worth I don't see anything saying that photo is unconfirmed on either the checklist or the photo itself

Edited by PaulK
clarity
  • Like 1

ALL RIGHTY, KIDDIES, NOW WE'RE GETTING PLACES!!!!!

I think you're double-posting somehow.  Notice the highlighted data from your image above.  Specifically, your shot shows the 'Unconfirmed' flag, the photo is attributed to 'Cheri Phillips' (no '& Rich'), and there's an eBird checklist number:

image.thumb.png.0e49fbcd887960b38836171043323ec5.png

When I go to your checklist using the link you posted above ( https://ebird.org/checklist/S42069387 ), I see the same photo but with different details (what we geeks call 'metadata').  No 'Unconfirmed' tag, attributed to 'Cheri & Rich Phillips', and no 'eBird Checklist' number

image.thumb.png.4fc701fa13096799b62a7fa62c10d61e.png

Please try this: go back to the image, using the same steps to open it that you did before.  Scroll down and in the bottom right corner, look for the 'Macaulay Library' ML number.  Does it match the number on my image - ML82576201?  Also, is the location the same as mine - 'Colorado State University Environmental Learning Center'?

Any chance you're uploading the photos to Macaulay first, and then tying them back to the eBird checklist?  Or maybe this is a shared checklist between two eBird accounts, and you're adding the photo to each of them?

• Like 1

The geese are Macaulay Library number 82576201.  If I search Mac for a range of number, 62576000 - 62476500, I get a lot of photos.  Three of them are from the same checklist as the geese.  Notice the Mallards are attributed to 'Cheri Phillips'.  You can't see it in this shot, but the two AMWI also have no '& Rich'.

Would you give us a rough list of the steps you take to upload photos?  I'm wondering if we have a procedural issue.  Thanks.

image.thumb.png.a16d548b5170aae3fa5d3e63f885b4fa.png