Whatbird Community

I'm curious what other hobbies folks here have...

Restoring vintage cast iron cookware (my favorite dutch oven is from the 1890s), knitting, crocheting (not just a hobby, it's a post-apocalyptic life skill--lol), gardening, collecting and reading 19th Century American History books--oldest was published in 1832.  History is most interesting and more accurate the closer to the event it's documenting.  Genealogy, also more interesting when you can give those lives context with events of the time.  It's much more than just names, dates, and places.  Basically, I'm a throw-back to simpler times.  I think I was born about 100 years too late...lol 

• Like 5

On 4/21/2021 at 11:21 PM, Jerry Friedman said:

Other wildlife (especially odonates and plants), writing poetry, sharing my thoughts (I think that's the polite term) on the Internet.  That last seems to cut into reading books, especially SF and mysteries, which I used to do a lot more.

I have moved away from sharing my thoughts on the internet....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was really into fish tanks for a long time. I still have mine, but it has taken a back seat for a few years. The fish in it I’ve had for about 5 years and some of the plants are about ten years old.  We moved and there was no place for it, so it’s been more or less just sitting, so it’s a big mess. Once carpet goes into our basement I plan to revamp it and set it up properly, though I’ve been thinking of just getting rid of it all together as it’s been so long. I’ve had the design ready for 2 years with all the plants, driftwood, rocks, and fish I plan to put into it. It’s fun creating little worlds.
I also maintain a pond and used to have goldfish in it, but now it’s solely for frogs and birds. I find plants very interesting , so I have quite a few indoor plants and random plant knowledge. I also like gardening/landscaping, mostly do it to create and maintain habitats for birds and other animals. Though it’s fun watching things grow over time. 

• Like 5

14 hours ago, Aaron said:

I was really into fish tanks for a long time. I still have mine, but it has taken a back seat for a few years. The fish in it I’ve had for about 5 years and some of the plants are about ten years old.  We moved and there was no place for it, so it’s been more or less just sitting, so it’s a big mess. Once carpet goes into our basement I plan to revamp it and set it up properly, though I’ve been thinking of just getting rid of it all together as it’s been so long. I’ve had the design ready for 2 years with all the plants, driftwood, rocks, and fish I plan to put into it. It’s fun creating little worlds.
I also maintain a pond and used to have goldfish in it, but now it’s solely for frogs and birds. I find plants very interesting , so I have quite a few indoor plants and random plant knowledge. I also like gardening/landscaping, mostly do it to create and maintain habitats for birds and other animals. Though it’s fun watching things grow over time. 

Salt or fresh?

15 hours ago, Aaron said:

For years we maintained a saltwater tank.  Until..... the tank leaked at 3 AM and almost caused an electrical fire.  We ended up giving everything away including our 10+ y/o Tomato Clownfish.  🙁

• Sad 9

13 hours ago, Candydez12 said:

I like Reading, Swimming (when it is around summer time, when our pool gets warm). Birding, Drawing (which I really only draw birds), danceing, singing. I do a lot of things lol!

Same here with the swimming. Our pool is not heated and though we live in Florida we are in North Florida which does get chilly. Last year it had warmed up much sooner than this year. We were just able to get in it couple of days ago. Last year we were in it early April maybe even late March.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

TaDa! I finally finished making 7 cushions like the one below complete with zipper (so the covers can be removed and washed) and matching velcroed tabs to keep the cushions securely in place. Six of the cushions are for our outdoor table and an extra for a bench/storage seat that my husband is going to build for the patio.

042.JPG

• Like 5

On 4/26/2021 at 11:53 AM, AlexHenry said:

Lesser Goldfinch nest building? 😂 just kidding but I do have a pretty one-track mind

They built a tree house in my yard but duplicating it is beyond my skill level :classic_cool:

• Haha 1

On 4/19/2021 at 1:31 PM, Kevin said:

Other hobbies?:classic_blink: Are there other hobbies?

Now that I have whole-heartedly embraced birding, my other hobbies have ceased to keep my attention, with the exceptions of hiking & kayaking, which are now better described as birding by foot and boat.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Guess I never posted here, probably becasuse there's nothing to post…I like birding, birding, and more birding. If I ever meet anyone from here, I will most likely talk about birding. Besides birding, I obviously like photography (Birds, other wildlife, and even though I suck at it, landscape), hiking, other nature observation (such as interesting plants, herps, mammals) and I have had interests in flying drones, drawing, reading, pyrotechnics, old coin collecting, terrariums,  and growing carnivorous plants but birding is the main thing now. 

• Like 4

On 4/19/2021 at 2:44 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

play Water Polo. 

I didn’t mention this before my trip, but two weeks ago my team (barely) qualified for the Junior Olympics. This means lots of practice over the summer, and another trip where I can go birding. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Gardening, mostly in containers.  I have around 30 cactus, most of which bloom every spring.  A few come inside for the winter but most are out year-round.  There are also pots of annuals.

Watching cars go around in circles and squiggles.  NASCAR, IndyCar, IMSA.  I've run a fantasy league for almost 20 years.  I wish there was a local track in my area but the closest ones are at least 90 minutes away.

Reading, almost exclusively science fiction and fantasy.  That habit goes back at least 50 years.  Thanks, Dad!

Back in the '70s and early '80s, I was picking up around 25 comic books a month.  When we got engaged, I sold the collection en masse; it made the down payment on our first house.

• Like 7

• 4 weeks later...