Whatbird Community

I'm curious what other hobbies folks here have...

Clip

On 8/11/2021 at 11:51 AM, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Mostly pretty simple stuff. Allegro Molto, Russian Sailor's Dance, Entrance of the Queen of Sheba, to name a few.

Just out of curiosity, is that Allegro Molto the first movement of Mozart's 40th symphony, which is marked Molto Allegro?  (I'm pretty sure it's not the finale of the 41st.)

I envy you musicians.

• Like 2

Just now, Jerry Friedman said:

Just out of curiosity, is that Allegro Molto the first movement of Mozart's 40th symphony, which is marked Molto Allegro?  (I'm pretty sure it's not the finale of the 41st.)

I envy you musicians.

On my music it is marked Allegro Molto from Symphony No. 1, K.16. It's a really classic piece that most musicians play. Well, it's nice to play music, but I'm not sure you envy being yelled at and your toes being stomped on by a conductor!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

On my music it is marked Allegro Molto from Symphony No. 1, K.16. It's a really classic piece that most musicians play. Well, it's nice to play music, but I'm not sure you envy being yelled at and your toes being stomped on by a conductor!

Thanks.  It does sound familiar.  And let's just say I wish I had enough musical talent that I could have my toes stomped on by a conductor.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Thanks.  It does sound familiar.  And let's just say I wish I had enough musical talent that I could have my toes stomped on by a conductor.

Haha, actually it happened, but not to me. Another person was tapping his foot and it was spreading throughout the orchestra, (not me of course!), so he went over and stamped on it! Conductors have a reputation of being, ahem, artistic.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Haha, actually it happened, but not to me. Another person was tapping his foot and it was spreading throughout the orchestra, (not me of course!), so he went over and stamped on it! Conductors have a reputation of being, ahem, artistic.

Wow, my experience with conductors is nothing like that, the worst thing my conductors ever did was crack bad jokes. 😂

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bombycilla Cedorum said:

Wow, my experience with conductors is nothing like that, the worst thing my conductors ever did was crack bad jokes. 😂

Really?? My conductor was sort of different..Although he didn't yell at us that much, it was mostly he guilted us into doing better by sighing and being dissapointed in us.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Really?? My conductor was sort of different..Although he didn't yell at us that much, it was mostly he guilted us into doing better by sighing and being dissapointed in us.

I have never had a conductor that yelled, although there was one who sorta did the thing you're talking about. With most of my groups we are pretty well prepared heading into rehearsal. My conductors don't have too much to be upset about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Bombycilla Cedorum said:

I have never had a conductor that yelled, although there was one who sorta did the thing you're talking about. With most of my groups we are pretty well prepared heading into rehearsal. My conductors don't have too much to be upset about.

Huh, okay. I wouldn't call my fellow musicians in that group at the time that well prepared. Their music was constantly falling off the stands, they played off time and sometimes of tune, and constantly tapped their feet or shook their legs. Of course we improved by the end of the season, though we still weren't great. It seemed that the worst people were put toward the back, so you had to try and not listen too closely, because then you would hear the off-rhythm music drifting from the back. I was put in front of the second violins. Not too brag, because this group was pretty bad, but I was probably one of the best musicians in the group.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Huh, okay. I wouldn't call my fellow musicians in that group at the time that well prepared. Their music was constantly falling off the stands, they played off time and sometimes of tune, and constantly tapped their feet or shook their legs. Of course we improved by the end of the season, though we still weren't great. It seemed that the worst people were put toward the back, so you had to try and not listen too closely, because then you would hear the off-rhythm music drifting from the back. I was put in front of the second violins. Not too brag, because this group was pretty bad, but I was probably one of the best musicians in the group.

That's not good. I, thankfully, have never had that experience. Most of the people I have played with have been very capable. In most of the groups I would have older friends that would act as mentors in a way, so that helped me a lot when I first started orchestra. Also I have been blessed with having good concertmasters in my groups.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bombycilla Cedorum said:

That's not good. I, thankfully, have never had that experience. Most of the people I have played with have been very capable. In most of the groups I would have older friends that would act as mentors in a way, so that helped me a lot when I first started orchestra. Also I have been blessed with having good concertmasters in my groups.

It was sort of a young group and this was my first time. We didn't even actually have a concertmaster.

• Like 2

Just now, Bombycilla Cedorum said:

Ok. That explains it. I have always been in orchestra with people at least my age or older.

Yeah, though these kids weren't that much younger than me and there were some kids older than me. I was in this group mostly because I had played for quite a while before actually deciding to get into youth orchestra.

• Like 2