Whatbird Community

Originally thought two robins were fighting it until I got closer. First thought this was a Cooper’s, but upon review I’m not too sure. Only managed these two far away photos before it flew off into the trees. 

I lean more to sharpie in the first photo, but then the second looks more like a Cooper’s. Sharpie would be a new bird for this hotspot and the 150th species, so maybe this is just wishful thinking. Thought I’d get some other opinions just in case.
Shuswap BC yesterday 

ThanksC569B0B1-F5B5-4924-851E-155634AC6663.thumb.jpeg.d05b925821708283a1b59f0b5cc8e0f1.jpeg8C99D56D-9777-42E9-B1B4-BB34E339B184.thumb.jpeg.584db9b425bb5ff2a7597216211e3983.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Aaron said:

I don’t know what would be worse, Redpoll hybrids or Cooper/Sharpie hybrids 

I think Cooper’s and Goshawks are know to hybridize, so I don’t see why there couldn’t be a Sharpie x coop mess. At least it might be easier to get an accipiter DNA sample, lol.

• Sad 1

Bird #150 😎

Wish I would have actually realized it when I saw it! I’ll have to make an incidental  checklist, but I’m sure I’ll be able to add one to a complete one at some point.

Thanks! 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Birding Boy said:

Must be a hybrid.

WASH YOUR MOUTH OUT. Those two give enough trouble to birders without hybrids in the mix! That is something that has concerned me for a while.

I'm fine with juv female Sharpie for this not-so-wee beastie.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, Aaron said:

I don’t know what would be worse, Redpoll hybrids or Cooper/Sharpie hybrids 

The worst would be northern x Louisiana waterthrush hybrid. Or crow x raven. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Greater x Lesser Scaup, which will eventually evolve into its own species with a large amount of variation looking somewhat intermediate between GRSC and LESC.

No, there will be so much interbreeding between the the two that the ABA will have to merge them. :classic_tongue:

• Haha 2
56 minutes ago, BirdNrd said:

I don't know how you're going to be able to identify a California Scrub-Jay x Woodhouse's Scrub-Jay hybrid.

Only way to distinguish between them would be by where they live. Wait!! That's the way it is now, isn't it??