Whatbird Community

I posted this photo ID in June of 2020 and I'm seeing if anyone has an idea of what it is because someone said left might be a Cave. Below is the old topic. Thanks. Grover Beach, CA

IMG_8958.thumb.JPG.bf2a31fbc2b04f59492521748a9a92d6.jpeg

Admittedly I'm no expert on Cave Swallow so maybe this is not the hill to die on, but I still think this looks rather good for Cave. Considering that at least the underside seems quite well lit and therefore the plumage visible fairly accurate, I have a hard time believing that Violet-Green would have a uniform buffy wash on the face (but absent on the belly), as well as such a well-defined 'necklace'. The bird Tony linked certainly has a strong 'necklace' for VG, but it still differs quite a bit in the face patterning and color IMO.

Edited by Hasan

Not sure what it is, but IF it was a Cave Swallow, better documentation would surely necessitate such a claim. There are only 14 historical records for CASW in CA, and this would not get approved by the CBRC based on this one photo alone.

Did the reviewer give their input?

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, DLecy said:

Not sure what it is, but IF it was a Cave Swallow, better documentation would surely necessitate such a claim. There are only 14 historical records for CASW in CA, and this would not get approved by the CBRC based on this one photo alone.

Did the reviewer give their input?

Yes he did.

1 hour ago, BirdNrd said:

Violet-green Swallows can have a brown face as shown in the photo on this checklist. If the lighting is good, why does the tail look so pale compared to the Cliff Swallow?

Obviously I didn't see the whole email correspondence, but from what you quoted it sounds like Tom is saying your bird could in fact be a VGSW. 

16 hours ago, DLecy said:

Obviously I didn't see the whole email correspondence, but from what you quoted it sounds like Tom is saying your bird could in fact be a VGSW. 

I'll include the whole email later.

4 hours ago, BirdNrd said:

I'll include the whole email later.

21 hours ago, DLecy said:

Actually never mind, he said that it was a VGSW.