Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Birds In Movies


Avery
 Share

Recommended Posts

Anyone else get annoyed by the background bird noises in movies? The classic one is a Red-tailed Hawk scream over a vulture or eagle or something, but I've noticed a few others. In the movie Blade Runner, there's a Common Loon in the middle of the desert, and in Shutter Island there were Yellow-throated Vireo and Common Chiffchaff at the same time! ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...

Just found another annoying one. A very talkative Acadian Flycatcher in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides when Blackbeard and crew are making Captain Jack Sparrow jump the cliff. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In the kids show Wild Kratts (These guys are supposed be like nature degrees and stuff) they once called a Hairy Woodpecker a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker or the other way around... can't remember. Also why is it that in all the Victorian era films like Jane Austen ones there is House Wrens throughout the entire film. Also The film Henry V has Wood Thrushes (And others)

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Totally thought I posted this here, but in the movie Charlie’s Angels (2000) the key to finding where they are being held captive is discovered by one of the main characters Identifying a bird that lands in the window. They say it’s a Pygmy Nuthatch and that it can only found in a small part of California. Strike one. The bird they show on screen is a Troupial. The bird also sings, but its neither a PYNU call or the sound a Troupial makes ?‍♂️ 

  • Haha 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Totally thought I posted this here, but in the movie Charlie’s Angels (2000) the key to finding where they are being held captive is discovered by one of the main characters Identifying a bird that lands in the window. They say it’s a Pygmy Nuthatch and that it can only found in a small part of California. Strike one. The bird they show on screen is a Troupial. The bird also sings, but its neither a PYNU call or the sound a Troupial makes ?‍♂️ 

Well, the reason behind a lot of weird non-native birds being shown on screen has to do with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/03/14/the-surprising-reason-hollywood-gets-birds-all-wrong/

https://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-50-learn-live-bird-errors-tv-and-movies

(Of course, both by my favorite birder Nick Lund)

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Well, the reason behind a lot of weird non-native birds being shown on screen has to do with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/03/14/the-surprising-reason-hollywood-gets-birds-all-wrong/

https://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-50-learn-live-bird-errors-tv-and-movies

(Of course, both by my favorite birder Nick Lund)

That makes sense. Hopefully they just animate them now that we can! Like they did in The Big Year

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I guess this explains one of my own examples. In I'll Be Home For Christmas, there's a prominent scene where the main character is abandoned in the Mojave Desert while he's followed by a species of Gyps vulture (I want to say Griffon Vulture).

34 minutes ago, Avery said:

That makes sense. Hopefully they just animate them now that we can! Like they did in The Big Year

And this movie kind of deserves its own thread. There was clearly a ton of research put into it but a few little inaccuracies that wouldn't make any sense for supposed experts.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Well, the reason behind a lot of weird non-native birds being shown on screen has to do with the Migratory Bird Treaty Act...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/animalia/wp/2016/03/14/the-surprising-reason-hollywood-gets-birds-all-wrong/

https://www.audubon.org/news/birdist-rule-50-learn-live-bird-errors-tv-and-movies

(Of course, both by my favorite birder Nick Lund)

I didn't know that. Thanks for sharing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

The greatest movie bird ever!!!

use-me-first.jpg

 

I highly suggest Adam Savage's TED Talk on this, as well as the Dodo bird.  I think many of can related to the underlying point of his talk.  

The Maltese Falcon, my two favorite actors for that genre of movies - Humphrey Bogart and Sidney Greenstreet.

I didn't clik the link, so it may explain, but do you realize how few people here even know who Humphrey Bogart is little lone what movie it is. Sad, but I am afraid true.?

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Kevin said:

The Maltese Falcon, my two favorite actors for that genre of movies - Humphrey Bogart and Sidney Greenstreet.

I didn't clik the link, so it may explain, but do you realize how few people here even know who Humphrey Bogart is little lone what movie it is. Sad, but I am afraid true.?

It was Adam Savage, from Mythbusters, discussing how he sculpted a Dodo bird skeleton after only starting wiht the plan to sculpt a skull.  This experiment led him to go to outrageous extremes to sculpt an exact replica of The Maltese Falcon.  Multiple videos on YouTube of that talk, about 15 minutes.  There are such great movies from that 30's-50's time period.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2022 at 10:08 PM, chipperatl said:

  There are such great movies from that 30's-50's time period.  

Indeed there are, so many good movies and actors that nearly nobody watches today, I am sure there are some good movies in between most of what I see advertised in modern movies("modern movies" being anything made past about 1965 to me), but from what I have checked on it seems that most every film being made is pretty bad, in my mind. You have lost track of the body count by the third seen, the language they use is so bad I don't even now what else they say, not to mention the sexual perversion and the things they show and talk about is horrendous. I personally am just not going to watch it, I get there are a few somewhat clean movies being made, but even what most of you would think is a good family friendly show, neither me, nor my parents would let in the house. At one point a few members were talking about a film that I had heard of, it is supposedly a family film, a good comedy... at least that is what is said about it, I checked the parents guide, it "only" had one instance of nudity, and the "f" several times...And most, if maybe not all of you have seen it and probably didn't think a thing about it.

All right, all right I know I live a sheltered life, I'll shut up. 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Indeed there are, so many good movies and actors that nearly nobody watches today, I am sure there are some good movies in between most of what I see advertised in modern movies("modern movies" being anything made past about 1965 to me), but from what I have checked on it seems that most every film being made is pretty bad, in my mind. You have lost track of the body count by the third seen, the language they use is so bad I don't even now what else they say, not to mention the sexual perversion and the things they show and talk about is horrendous. I personally am just not going to watch it, I get there are a few somewhat clean movies being made, but even what most of you would think is a good family friendly show, neither me, nor my parents would let in the house. At one point a few members were talking about a film that I had heard of, it is supposedly a family film, a good comedy... at least that is what is said about it, I checked the parents guide, it "only" had one instance of nudity, and the "f" several times...And most, if maybe not all of you have seen it and probably didn't think a thing about it.

All right, all right I know I live a sheltered life, I'll shut up. 

I. Feel. This.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Currently watching the horror show “Midnight Mass” and I’ve been loving how accurate the birds are! It takes place on an island in British Columbia. They CGI’d in Western Gulls with the right calls, and other birds I’ve noticed were Wester Screech, Wilson’s Warbler, and some others that I don’t recognize, but sound western (if that counts lol)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Avery said:

Currently watching the horror show “Midnight Mass” and I’ve been loving how accurate the birds are! It takes place on an island in British Columbia. They CGI’d in Western Gulls with the right calls, and other birds I’ve noticed were Wester Screech, Wilson’s Warbler, and some others that I don’t recognize, but sound western (if that counts lol)

Figured out another one: Townsend’s Warbler

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, DaBirb said:

I was watching The Chosen when I heard a blue jay in Israel… 😐 

Love the Chosen! I think Season 3 just started coming out! (During that I have also pointed out all the other incorrect calls in it much to the annoyance of everyone else watching it)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...