Whatbird Community

4 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Bobolink

Too funny, as I was hoping to see one today at that location. It's a lifer. Someone else posted a picture a few days ago from there, but I thought it would be bigger😂 Thanks

19 minutes ago, jonesmunoz said:

Too funny, as I was hoping to see one today at that location. It's a lifer. Someone else posted a picture a few days ago from there, but I thought it would be bigger😂 Thanks

It's a bitty Bobolink! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
16 hours ago, jonesmunoz said:

but I thought it would be bigger😂

I remember when I saw my first Spotted Towhee, I thought it was going to be the size of a small sparrow!

• Like 1

I don't know why by I always expect shorebirds to be larger.  I have this incorrect mental image of most peeps being similar height with chickens, and a Whimbrel being up there with an ibis.  When I'm around them, it always takes me a couple of sightings to get my expectations brought back in line with reality.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't know why by I always expect shorebirds to be larger.  I have this incorrect mental image of most peeps being similar height with chickens, and a Whimbrel being up there with an ibis.  When I'm around them, it always takes me a couple of sightings to get my expectations brought back in line with reality.

I feel that soooooo much. First time I saw least sandpipers I was looking about a foot too high

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Avery said:I feel that soooooo much. First time I saw least sandpipers I was looking about a foot too high

I was expecting them to be Robin-sized! :classic_laugh: First time I ever saw a Willet, I thought to myself “that’s way too small!”

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I was expecting them to be Robin-sized! :classic_laugh: First time I ever saw a Willet, I thought to myself “that’s way too small!”

My first ever shorebird was a willet, so that put my expectations WAAYYY out of proportions 😂 

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Avery said:

My first ever shorebird was a willet, so that put my expectations WAAYYY out of proportions 😂 

I was expecting mine to be about the size of a Cattle Egret! :classic_laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2