Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

I think this is a domestic x mallard. I'm not an expert on waterfowl genetics but it has some mallard traits yet the bill and neck are definitely off... Maybe part runner duck.

So I can't say specifically but if it were reported somewhere like eBird it would likely be reported as domestic mallard.
Wait for a second opinion but that's what I'm seeing.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/9/2021 at 6:09 PM, millipede said:

I think this is a domestic x mallard. I'm not an expert on waterfowl genetics but it has some mallard traits yet the bill and neck are definitely off... Maybe part runner duck.

So I can't say specifically but if it were reported somewhere like eBird it would likely be reported as domestic mallard.
Wait for a second opinion but that's what I'm seeing.

Then again, it could just be a leucistic wild-type...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 7:13 PM, Seanbirds said:

Then again, it could just be a leucistic wild-type...

could be but not what I'd expect.
The shape of the head/neck/bill seems off to me(neck "seems" long), I'd expect a thicker white band on the speculum, and the bill is too uniformly orange. A female mallard's bill has more of a saddle and darker tones to it than this bird has.

That's what I'm seeing anyway. I'm no expert on them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, millipede said:

could be but not what I'd expect.
The shape of the head/neck/bill seems off to me(neck "seems" long), I'd expect a thicker white band on the speculum, and the bill is too uniformly orange. A female mallard's bill has more of a saddle and darker tones to it than this bird has.

That's what I'm seeing anyway. I'm no expert on them.

That makes a lot of sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...