Whatbird Community

22 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

Not that you can see it in this photo, but Hooded has large white tail spots; Yellow's are, well, yellow.

I knew it was a yellow warbler, but wasn't certain it was a Yellow Warbler.  😄 

• Haha 7
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, floraphile said:

I knew it was a yellow warbler, but wasn't certain it was a Yellow Warbler.  😄 

Yellow’s tail spots are yellow. I blame this misunderstanding on the plethora of people that don’t seem to understand that not every word-ending “s” requires a prior apostrophe. The “Yellow’s” in my post was intended as a possessive, referring to the previous noun phrase “tail spots,” one of only two reasons in English to use an apostrophe (the other being to indicate “missing” letters in a contraction).

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
4 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I blame this misunderstanding on the plethora of people that don’t seem to understand

Were you hoping to educate or insult the plethora of people you're referring to?  I could be wrong in the way I read MANY of your posts, Tony, but you come across as being extremely offended, and overtly superior, when things aren't worded just the way you like them to be. Is it too much to ask that you resist your desire to be an English Teacher when you're offering help with an ID, and not BARK at people when they use the wrong birding terms in their inquiries. 

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Yellow’s tail spots are yellow. I blame this misunderstanding on the plethora of people that don’t seem to understand that not every word-ending “s” requires a prior apostrophe. The “Yellow’s” in my post was intended as a possessive, referring to the previous noun phrase “tail spots,” one of only two reasons in English to use an apostrophe (the other being to indicate “missing” letters in a contraction).

I know how to use (and interpret) apostrophes properly. And I'm pretty sharp with ellipses & semicolons, too.  

Edited by floraphile
  • Like 1