Whatbird Community

2 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Quite late for a WCSP to still be molting, particularly for one of the yellow-billed subsp.

I'm curious how the other west coasters feel about this but it seems like everything is a couple of weeks later this year compared to last year, at least in terms of what's coming through up here on the other side of the 49th parallel.

• Like 2
51 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I'm curious how the other west coasters feel about this but it seems like everything is a couple of weeks later this year compared to last year, at least in terms of what's coming through up here on the other side of the 49th parallel.

I’ve heard this being discussed. It does seem like things are happening a little later then normal. 

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, PaulK said:

Agree!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, PaulK said:

I'm taking a neotropic bird ID class at the Seattle Audubon and our instructor mentioned that the migrants are quite late this year. We already have a dearth of warblers in the PNW and now this 😭

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, PaulK said:

Totally, I just stopped seeing Zonos here in Sacramento, they are usually gone by the third week of April. 

Also, for those in central Cali, anyone else seeing more great basin birds than normal? We've had four separate Black-throated Sparrows, more Brewer's Sparrows than in any recent year, and several Vesper Sparrows this year. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Totally, I just stopped seeing Zonos here in Sacramento, they are usually gone by the third week of April. 

Also, for those in central Cali, anyone else seeing more great basin birds than normal? We've had four separate Black-throated Sparrows, more Brewer's Sparrows than in any recent year, and several Vesper Sparrows this year. 

We had 2 VESP in the county this spring, which is two more then normal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I’ve heard this being discussed. It does seem like things are happening a little later then normal. 

Agree. Seems like a late spring. Not just in terms of bird migration but also plant life. I am fine with that after the scorching hot summers filled with fire the last few years here in California.

• Like 1