Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

In Socorro New Mexico, a few days ago. There are two prominent bird songs in this recording, the higher pitched squeaky jumble of notes that is a Red-faced Warbler. And then there's something else... a repetitive song that comes just before the Red-faced song. It also repeats again towards the end of the audio file slightly after the RFWA. I included a few spectrograms as well just for good measure. Any guesses? I'm thinking it's a warbler, but I can't be sure. P.S. sorry for the bad audio quality and noise... may need headphones to hear it well.

bird song sprectrogram.png

Bird spectrogram 3.png

Bird spectrogram 2.png

MVI_3847.mp3

Edited by Jimmyos
25 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Uhhhh..... That's a Yellow-throated Warbler song!

Are you sure about that? Not to question your expertise, but I have heard Yellow-throated's many times, and I don't really remember them sounding like that. Wouldn't YTWA be a gradually descending song, and not one constant, alternating pitch?

Am I sure it is a Yellow-throated-ish song? Yes. Am I sure that the bird singing it is a Yellow-throated Warbler? Well, not 100%, but I don't really know what else it could be. 

If I were to hear it out east I would call it Yellow-throated without a second thought. The song descends gradually, with a short ending that has an upward inflection at the end. At the very least, it's certainly worth getting in contact with your local ebird reviewer and/or posting on local RBA and advanced ID pages, given that Yellow-throated would be quite rare in your area.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, Hasan said:

Am I sure it is a Yellow-throated-ish song? Yes. Am I sure that the bird singing it is a Yellow-throated Warbler? Well, not 100%, but I don't really know what else it could be. 

If I were to hear it out east I would call it Yellow-throated without a second thought. The song descends gradually, with a short ending that has an upward inflection at the end. At the very least, it's certainly worth getting in contact with your local ebird reviewer and/or posting on local RBA and advanced ID pages, given that Yellow-throated would be quite rare in your area.

Thanks for the second-opinion on the bird... where would I find more advanced ID pages, if you don't mind me asking?