Whatbird Community

Black Tern? - South Padre Island WBC/CC/LMT - 5/9/21

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

They should be in the valley by now. I think I’ve had them by early may. 

I want one, too. Apparently they’re quite rare here..

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Salton Sea during migration is the most reliable place in the state for them. 

Spring or fall? I’ve gotta get there when I’ve got some free time.....unfortunately that time isn’t really during migration....

Edited by IKLland
Typo.
Posted (edited)

@Seanbirds I'm at 225 (life) and 213 (year to date), and coming up on my 1 year birding anniversary...really hoping to make a trip out to Big Bend National Park, Brewster Co, TX, before then, in an effort to pump that # up before the anniversary though :-).  Having purchased a camera with a decent lens back in December 2020 (Nikon P1000), ID'ing new birds (with the help of this forum) has become far simpler though, so thanks again for all your help!  Moving forward, I think I'm going to be more interested in adding to my life list, however, rather than perpetually fighting the clock for my year lists, allegedly :-).

Edited by Caley Thomas
  • Like 3
2 minutes ago, Caley Thomas said:

@Seanbirds I'm at 225 (life) and 213 (year to date), and coming up on my 1 year birding anniversary...really hoping to make a trip out to Big Bend National Park, Brewster Co, TX, before then, in an effort to pump that # up before the anniversary though :-).  Having purchased a camera with a decent lens back in December 2020 (Nikon P1000), ID'ing new birds (with the help of this forum) has become far simpler though, so thanks again for all your help!  Moving forward, I think I'm going to be more interested in adding to my life list, however, rather than perpetually fighting the clock for my year lists, allegedly :-).

You’ll pass me up in no time! :classic_laugh: I’m at 280.

@SeanbirdsWe'll see, I know there's a cliff coming at some point sooner rather than later (where the birds become much more difficult to locate due to their distance from me or fleeting nature of their visits or simply their relative rarity, in relationship to me holding down a 9-5 and only having weekends generally to play with).  Either way, this number would be nothing without team whatbird.com, and I'll not soon forget this.  I wonder sometimes if some of my reviewers mistakenly think I'm some sort of savant given the amount of generally error-free submissions I post despite my lack of experience, lol.

• Like 1