Whatbird Community

I believe this is a Western Kingbird. I have seen probably a thousand of these in Colorado. But, this one was in the Florida Keys. According to Sibley's they winter in South Florida. I photographed this bird just a few days ago which isn't exactly winter in Florida so I'm just making sure it is what I think it is. There are a couple of other less likely possibilities.

263.JPG

1 hour ago, Seanbirds said:

@Clip any more photos?

Seanbird in the field I also thought I saw green on the back and thought it had a brighter yellow belly than Western Kingbirds. If it turns out to be something else like a tropical kingbird it would be a life bird.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Clip said:

Seanbird in the field I also thought I saw green on the back and thought it had a brighter yellow belly than Western Kingbirds. If it turns out to be something else like a tropical kingbird it would be a life bird.

I think this is a Tropical Kingbird. The back is clearly green.

42 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Western can have a slightly greenish tinted back. This is a Western. The bill is far too dainty for Tropical.

Thanks for pointing that out. Nevermind. I’m back to western.

5 hours ago, Hasan said:

The bill is far too dainty for Tropical.

This is important. Tropicals have large bills (compared to western), as well as being much brighter overall, and having a slightly different structure (shown in the photo below). 

image.jpeg.08da2ab0fefe7692a248195d6466941a.jpeg

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

This is important. Tropicals have large bills (compared to western), as well as being much brighter overall, and having a slightly different structure (shown in the photo below). 

image.jpeg.08da2ab0fefe7692a248195d6466941a.jpeg

Very helpful! The bird I saw had no where near this much green on the back. The bill looked too small for Tropical but size as we all know can be deceiving. This Western did have a brighter Yellow tummy than what I'm use to though.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Ebird had Western flagged as rare even though the bar chart shows them present in fairly good numbers in May. Good thing I got a photo or I'm sure it would have been unconfirmed.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Clip said:

fairly good numbers

That’s not any kind of good numbers. I used a 1% frequency cutoff — at least as a guideline — between rare and not rare in creating filter limits. The highest frequency in May in Monroe is only 0.67% (roughly 1 occurrence in every 150 checklists) and it goes well downhill from there.

17 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

That’s not any kind of good numbers. I used a 1% frequency cutoff — at least as a guideline — between rare and not rare in creating filter limits. The highest frequency in May in Monroe is only 0.67% (roughly 1 occurrence in every 150 checklists) and it goes well downhill from there.

Are they rare year round then with such small numbers? It doesn't look like they ever get above 2%.