Whatbird Community

Good morning.

I hope this post finds everyone well. I have an unfortunate request.

Earlier this morning I found a dead bird on my front porch. Please see photo below. This incident is subsequent to finding the skull of a rather large bird in my mailbox last week. I was wondering if someone would be so kind as to identify the species of the deceased along with any tidbits on potential symbolism.

For background, we live in Arlington, TX and the bird was found this morning 5/12/21 at 7:30 am, and rigor had set in at the time. It had not yet been discovered by any insects.

I have ruled out the possibility that a neighborhood cat might be trying to endear itself to our household as I found a clean, puncture wound in the bird's neck that appears to be an exit wound.

I'm fairly certain this is some sadistic neighborhood kid trying to be clever, but one never knows, which is why I'm reaching out to experts. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

20210512_080540.jpg

20210512_080644.jpg

• Sad 6

It is actually a Federal Offence to even keep a feather of a migratory bird without a federal and state permit. If you figure out who the shooter is let them know that "Penalties under the MBTA include a maximum of two years imprisonment and $250,000 fine for a felony conviction and six months imprisonment or $5,000 fine for a misdemeanor conviction." Perhaps that will deter their behavior. What type of skull was left in your mailbox?

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Why ask that?

Some people don’t like it. I feed birds and I know my neighbor has complained about it because she thinks it is attracting rats into her attic. 

If this person feeds birds that may be a reaction to that.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, dimitrig said:

Some people don’t like it. I feed birds and I know my neighbor has complained about it because she thinks it is attracting rats into her attic. 

If this person feeds birds that may be a reaction to that.

Oh, OK. Wait- how is feeding birds in your yard supposed to attract rats into her attic?? That just doesn’t make sense.

4 hours ago, Seanbirds said:

Oh, OK. Wait- how is feeding birds in your yard supposed to attract rats into her attic?? That just doesn’t make sense.

Rats come to eat fallen seed and then I guess they need to nest SOMEWHERE.

I mean, there is some truth to it, but it isn't my fault her attic isn't properly sealed and it's not like we're suddenly not going to have rats if I stop feeding the birds because of how many people have fruit trees around here.

My dad used to sit in his backyard and shoot the squirrels because they ate all his fruit even as the neighbor was feeding them.

Anyway, perhaps there is something like that going on here. That's why I asked.

If this person ISN'T feeding the birds then to me it's a little more scary. A skull in the mailbox? If it's a kid doing it that kid needs to be identified, because it seems like a very disturbed person. Many serial killers start out with animal cruelty.

• Like 1