Whatbird Community

I’m almost too embarrassed to ask....

This bird was seen yesterday in my yard, Orange County, Ca. My camera was charging and out of reach. I had to take phone photos. This was after sunset so lighting was horrible. The breast cancer in person was reddish, seriously brick red almost. I’m  curious what this could be... or if it’s even identifiable.. thanks for any wild suggestions! 

29E20E2B-E3F3-40A1-B184-699687C2C860.thumb.jpeg.e1176815f7f33444a3bf5b72530276e5.jpegBBB3A07A-9724-4A98-A96C-7AA6BEFD5E60.thumb.jpeg.1b6d7431f43d756cf31e3d4ac3ab5e76.jpeg

Edited by IKLland

3 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Looks like a Spotted Towhee to me. White belly, orange sides, and a black back and tail. Not sure what's with the white head. 

Edit: Sniped by @PaulK

3 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I can't even tell where the head is so probably unidentifiable but that coloration feels like a spotted towhee to me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thanks!

Maybe you can circle the head of the bird. I can't even tell what I'm looking at or what way it is facing.. The part I circled looks like a head, but it could also be wings. If the circled part is the head and it has those white stripes on it then maybe a red-breasted nuthatch.

29E20E2B-E3F3-40A1-B184-699687C2C860.thumb.jpeg.e1176815f7f33444a3bf5b72530276e5.jpeg

Edited by dimitrig

8 minutes ago, dimitrig said:

Maybe you can circle the head of the bird. I can't even tell what I'm looking at or what way it is facing.. The part I circled looks like a head, but it could also be wings. If the circled part is the head and it has those white stripes on it then maybe a red-breasted nuthatch.

Or even a female black-headed grosbeak. Spotted towhee is a good guess, too, but the head would be black. So where is the head? LOL!

2 minutes ago, dimitrig said:

Or even a female black-headed grosbeak. Spotted towhee is a good guess, too, but the head would be black. So where is the head? LOL!

If what I'm seeing behind the bird is its tail, and not a shadow, the bird is perfectly shaped for SPTO. Not sure what's up with the white in the face

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

If what I'm seeing behind the bird is its tail, and not a shadow, the bird is perfectly shaped for SPTO. Not sure what's up with the white in the face

Where do you see that the head of the bird is and what do you think the part I circled is?

Edited by dimitrig

I see it now, there's a 3D effect here. It's sitting on the branch that I've highlighted here, which is sticking out towards us, so it's both on it and behind it if you see what I mean. The head is the black blob immediately right of the white and orange, mostly hidden behind the wider part of the branch where the other twig used to come off. Because of the photo angle we're only seeing a slim sliver of the black back. The white stuff isn't part of the bird.

Screenshot_20210514-064645.thumb.png.978c0963223b1e9ccda9f0c91fb5185a.png

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Then I have no clue how this bird is positioned or what body parts are where.  If that isn't the head as dimitrig circled, I'm lost.

No, I think that’s the head, I just don’t think the white stuff in front of it is.

5 minutes ago, PaulK said:

I think that was an autocorrect for breast color.

AHHH! I figured autocorrect but wasn't clear on what it was supposed to say. But like I said the pattern of the color doesn't fit for Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, and I'm not so familiar with other likely Grosbeaks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aveschapines said:

AHHH! I figured autocorrect but wasn't clear on what it was supposed to say. But like I said the pattern of the color doesn't fit for Rose-Breasted Grosbeak, and I'm not so familiar with other likely Grosbeaks.

The only expected grosbeaks there would be Black-headed and Blue. 

• Thanks 1