Whatbird Community

Any Warbler songs resemble that of Eastern Meadowlark?

14 May 2021 Baldwin co. AL;  mouth of Mobile-Tensaw delta;  brackish swamp/marsh

This sounds a lot like an Eastern Meadowlark, but the bird was calling from a thicket that was in standing water in the middle of a swampy landmass in the middle of a large body of water that can only be reached by the elevated boardwalk or by boat.  No grasslands close by.  Additionally, what appeared to be a warbler flushed from the thicket and the song stopped.  I could not ID the flying warbler, but saw mostly/all yellow underparts and a much darker (?brown) head.  Hooded Warbler was my best guess in the field, but I did/do not feel confident enough in that ID to submit it as such.  So, I either had 2 different birds or they are one and the same.  

20210514_090327 - Copy_ed.wav

1 hour ago, floraphile said:

14 May 2021 Baldwin co. AL;  mouth of Mobile-Tensaw delta;  brackish swamp/marsh

This sounds a lot like an Eastern Meadowlark, but the bird was calling from a thicket that was in standing water in the middle of a swampy landmass in the middle of a large body of water that can only be reached by the elevated boardwalk or by boat.  No grasslands close by.  Additionally, what appeared to be a warbler flushed from the thicket and the song stopped.  I could not ID the flying warbler, but saw mostly/all yellow underparts and a much darker (?brown) head.  Hooded Warbler was my best guess in the field, but I did/do not feel confident enough in that ID to submit it as such.  So, I either had 2 different birds or they are one and the same.  

20210514_090327 - Copy_ed.wav 5.25 MB · 2 downloads

I should clarify:  the song I am interested in is heard twice, at approximately 08 & 53 secs into the recording, the latter being the most clearly heard.

20210514_090327_copy-ed_2.thumb.jpg.f8065904de76e2b0ec165ee969e65f27.jpg

Edited by floraphile
typo

2 hours ago, floraphile said:

20210514_090327 - Copy_ed.wav 5.25 MB · 4 downloads

I would think Baltimore Oriole, as the call could definitely be one, and your description in spot on for a yellowish one. 

• Like 3