Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

American Crow.  Arkansas is out of Common Raven's range by a couple of states in all directions.  Your bird doesn't have a shaggy throat, and the bill is more tapered and less thick / blocky than a raven's.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, HAPPYL!FE said:

Why do I have such a hard time telling them apart?

They are difficult, especially when perched, even for experienced birders.  It's much easier to tell when they're in flight.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, HAPPYL!FE said:

OK. Thank you! I know there are none in Oklahoma. I appreciate your help!

Actually, there are two species of ravens in Oklahoma; check your field guide or the distribution maps at eBird.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

American Crow.  Arkansas is out of Common Raven's range by a couple of states in all directions.  Your bird doesn't have a shaggy throat, and the bill is more tapered and less thick / blocky than a raven's.

What’s ruling out Fish Crow here?

• Like 2
Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

Elaborate, if you would, please, since I can't tell American from Fish visually.

Sorry, I was trying to make a joke, calling it fishy since we couldn’t separate between the two species. 

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Elaborate, if you would, please, since I can't tell American from Fish visually.

I’m pretty sure that under most conditions, that’s well nigh impossible, even for experienced birders.