Whatbird Community

Hi, according to google photos I saw this sparrow seven years ago today in Metro Vancouver, BC, and I'm kind of stumped by what it is. Structure doesn't seem right at all for a young White-crowned, but those bright wingbars look whiter than I'd expect on a Chipping sparrow. Bill is too pink for American Tree, and we're way out of range for Field. So my best guess is Chipping but it doesn't feel right. Any idea please?

Screenshot_20210517-125049.thumb.png.89e2268381a748633d2dd30c7700b1ea.png

In the picture, there is a black stripe near the top of the head. Below that is a white stripe and another black stripe underneath it. And if you look up chipping and look at White Crowned, you would see that the Chipping Sparrow has brownish red on it's head. As White Crowned don't. This is actually an adult white crowned. @Colton V, the bills can look from orange, pink, to even yellow depending on the subspecies. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Candydez12 said:

Really? I see a White Crowned. Interesting.... How do you know?

Short tail, single wingbar, perched on a birdhouse...

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 4

Aha! My first thought had been House but I saw that reflection/gleam from the shoulder as a second wingbar. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

• Like 2
2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Looks like a House Sparrow to me.

This was my first thought as well, but when I looked closer it looked like it had a white crown, a black stripe behind the eye, and a bright yellow bill. I also see two wing bars but the top one is probably just light hitting the shoulder. Anyways I should probably stay off of the ID forums.

• Like 1