Whatbird Community

Neotropic cormorant

Posted (edited)

There were two cormorants at the lake today... (NW Arkansas) To different birds but I think they're both neotropic.
I should have used the scope and, I should have just ignored the people hanging out at a better spot and just gotten closer for better photos... Oh well...
This one, the pics are not good... and they look about the same as each other. You can compare its size to the turtles on the log...

image.thumb.png.be21cb192ab2d5e3b56c7a0c887af05c.png

image.thumb.png.412dbc89bf738e254b4d6402f599680d.png

image.thumb.png.0340f7bf2e467ec4c156870e12e36915.png

This one is up closer

image.thumb.png.2251c52308a5c415c9dc86f77b0eeb64.png

image.thumb.png.fcb88f2822d7743be4767c8a11c0cdeb.png

Edited by millipede
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, IKLland said:

yes! Nice! In the last shot, you can see the white " V" on the chin. 

Yeah, I was pretty sure about that one... but the first few pictures are a different bird that don't show as much detail. That's the one I'm really wanting feedback on.
one neotropic cormorant is rare(ish) enough around here... two would be pretty interesting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, millipede said:

Yeah, I was pretty sure about that one... but the first few pictures are a different bird that don't show as much detail. That's the one I'm really wanting feedback on.
one neotropic cormorant is rare(ish) enough around here... two would be pretty interesting.

I think the first one is one, but i'm not positive. I'm 99.0% sure #2 is one.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2021 at 10:10 AM, Seanbirds said:

IMO, 1 looks better for Double-crested, but it could easily be either. I’d use the “/“ option for this bird.

ok... I'll report with the /   It will get flagged either way and the reviewer can look at it.
If I had tons more free time I would have just gone back to get more photos and maybe pull the scope out.

• Like 1