Whatbird Community

Seattle WA Gull

I have very little experience with gulls, so I'm not really surprised that I'm getting stumped. This guy was slightly smaller than nearby Glaucous-winged Gulls, but not excessively so, so I'm thinking maybe Iceland or Herring?

It's kinda washed out, so it might not be IDable, but I thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions.

If you can, please also include why it's one or the other (or neither) so I know what to look for next time!

Thanks!

- Darrell Good

GULL_DSCN6602.jpg

1 hour ago, Darrell said:

What are "pp tips"? Primary projections?

The tips to the primaries. Tony explained in another post that p# (like p1, p2, etc) indicates an individual primary feather, while pp is plural. Same goes for the secondaries (ss, s#)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Darrell said:

What are "pp tips"? Primary projections?

I was intending the dark parts of the wing tip, as here. The blackness and precise pattern on the wing tip as a whole and on individual outer pp are critical for large, white-headed gull (LWHG) ID. Unless a birder likes delving into what might be considered minutiae, that birder should probably refrain from getting too deeply into gull ID.

Thanks guys! I had no idea gull ID was quite this intense, especially in the Pacific NW. But hey, if I learn it here, I can do it anywhere 🙂. I'll have to spend some time getting more familiar with the common local stuff and "delving into minutiae." Let's see if I can ask for a confirmation next time instead of an ID!

• Like 3