Whatbird Community

Which feeder is best to attract hummingbirds?

Posted (edited)

We love to attract the small Hummingbirds in our backyard. Many people recommended us the use of the special nectar hummingbird feeders to have this tiny creature in our backyard. But we are little confuse to choose the best feeder. We have find some of the feeder suggestions on internet, which include the following. 

https://hummingbirdmentor.com/feeders/best/

https://www.thespruce.com/best-hummingbird-feeders-4159147

https://birdwatchinghq.com/best-hummingbird-feeders/

Let  us know your thoughts about these suggestions to choose the right for our backyard. Any feeder expert here who can help us to choose the best one. Thanks in advance. 

What do you think glass feeders are better or plastic?

Edited by Jimmy321

• Jimmy321 changed the title to Which feeder is best to attract hummingbirds?

Welcome to Whatbird, @Jimmy321.

I like the simple design of a dish type feeder, basically a shallow bowl with a lid that has holes in it. Something similar to the one below, which I found in your third link.

saucer-feeder-228x300.jpg?is-pending-loa

I like this design for a few reasons. First and foremost, hummingbird feeders need CONSTANT and THOROUGH cleaning and this design is easiest to clean, in my opinion. There's no secondary tubes or flowers attached that need to be disassembled and cleaned with pipe cleaners, and there's no bottles with difficult angles that bottle brushes have a hard time getting to. Mold grows quickly on hummingbird feeders and is fatal to the birds so the feeders need to be cleaned frequently, at least every 3-4 days, possibly more often in warmer weather. Be prepared to spend more time cleaning the fancy decorated feeders than the plain dish type feeders. 

Secondly, this design has a built in ant moat, when the centre cup is filled with water it helps prevent ants from getting into the sugar water and contaminating it. I also find that these dish type feeders drip less than bottle type feeders, which always seem to drip no matter how hard I try to prevent it. Dish type feeders are my personal preference but I actually have more bottle feeders than dish feeders at the moment. *shrugs*

Once you decide on which feeder to buy, I suggest that you avoid using store bought nectar which has unnecessary dyes in it. A mixture of 1 part white table sugar dissolved in 4 parts water is the recommended mixture for hummingbirds. A simple feeder and a simple nectar recipe is all you need to share in the enjoyment of feeding hummingbirds. Good luck Jimmy321. 🙂

• Like 6

^That design also makes it a lot easier to see the hummingbirds as well. I only have feeders with the bottle and 99% of the time the hummingbirds will  perch so that they’re on the opposite side of it from me, so only their tail is visible. Been meaning to get one.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

the feeders need to be cleaned frequently, at least every 3-4 days, possibly more often in warmer weather

I've found there's often a lot of nectar left in my feeders when I clean them, especially when I clean them as often as they should be.  To avoid this, don't fill the feeders completely.  Start out filling your feeders halfway (or even less), esp. when you're first trying to attract hummers.  Once you get their attention, you'll get an idea of how much they'll consume in a few days.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
On 5/20/2021 at 11:06 AM, Aaron said:

^That design also makes it a lot easier to see the hummingbirds as well. I only have feeders with the bottle and 99% of the time the hummingbirds will  perch so that they’re on the opposite side of it from me, so only their tail is visible. Been meaning to get one.

We just got this feeder last week on Amazon. Definitely can see the hummingbirds easier! I do have some smaller birds frinking the water in the ant moat,lol. We have a bird bath and a hanging water feeder right there,but I guess ant water is yummier.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Regina said:

We just got this feeder last week on Amazon. Definitely can see the hummingbirds easier! I do have some smaller birds frinking the water in the ant moat,lol. We have a bird bath and a hanging water feeder right there,but I guess ant water is yummier.

Welcome to Whatbird!! We'd like to see you post photos of your Hummers and feeders on here also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1