Whatbird Community

I'm a bit confused

Someone in Massachusetts had a bird land on them... followed them onto a school bus... wouldn't leave them alone. Ended up taking a drive with them in their car from one town to another...  and it just stays in their neighborhood...
Sparrow like color, finch like bill...  yellow rump. closest thing to me seems like pine siskin but, doesn't seem right for it...  this is one of those birds that I'm just like ugh... will this be a big DUH moment when someone says something? ha

image.png.b98f36d20017f9011bb1119753e222ba.png

image.png.b506a136a90bb91e5d7136a49c833a64.png

image.png.19b8ad8b955a26f2b7e6430303543064.png

image.png.533f3c9f6f8e8639f52d6d98e7427a0c.png

image.png.44acae494cc8a0e3fbeaaf80e55f3a08.png

11 minutes ago, millipede said:

Someone in Massachusetts had a bird land on them... followed them onto a school bus... wouldn't leave them alone. Ended up taking a drive with them in their car from one town to another...  and it just stays in their neighborhood...
Sparrow like color, finch like bill...  yellow rump. closest thing to me seems like pine siskin but, doesn't seem right for it...  this is one of those birds that I'm just like ugh... will this be a big DUH moment when someone says something? ha

Give birb fren, pls

• Confused 3

6 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

My first thought was a lost pet canary.  Yellow-rumped Seedeater is close.  Don't know how popular they are as pets, though.

I hope someone has some more thoughts... at least I don't feel bad now, thinking that I couldn't ID a simple bird from MA...

2 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Give birb fren, pls

I'm not 100% sure I understand that...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, millipede said:

I hope someone has some more thoughts... at least I don't feel bad now, thinking that I couldn't ID a simple bird from MA...

I'm not 100% sure I understand that...

Want bird, must hold gently 

• Confused 3

23 minutes ago, millipede said:

ack...  they're arguing with me saying it's a yellow-rumped warbler... showing me field guide type pics saying it looks EXACTLY like it.

To be fair... they're not birders... and I've seen birders get pretty insistent on things that were wrong. As have I at one point I'm sure.

Now if a pine siskin, yrwa, and hofi came together they might have a kid like this?  HA. 

2 hours ago, millipede said:

ack...  they're arguing with me saying it's a yellow-rumped warbler... showing me field guide type pics saying it looks EXACTLY like it.  hmmm

They’re ignoring the bird’s LACK of tail spots, the overall brown coloration, the beak shape, the leg length, etc. And the yellow is too extensive for YRWA! 🙄

• Like 1

I think it’s safe to say that this is an escaped pet just by behavior, and not a native wild bird. I would think that someone here would recognize it if it occurred in the ABA

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Avery said:

I think it’s safe to say that this is an escaped pet just by behavior, and not a native wild bird. I would think that someone here would recognize it if it occurred in the ABA

You bet. This.

23 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

My first thought was a lost pet canary.  Yellow-rumped Seedeater is close.  Don't know how popular they are as pets, though.

I had no idea canaries could look like that... I'm still learning US birds and canaries... we'll I'm used to watching yellow birds on tv. HA

And it's interesting that a canary is a seedeater...

So just for fun, I contacted a local birder about this bird. He's a local college student. A couple years ago I noticed an older guy that leads the local Audubon field trips(when they were having them) would check with this guy to confirm things, count things, hear things... when one of the local "experts" turns to someone, you know that someone knows their stuff. I wasn't wrong to ask. Apparently he's seen one of the other yellow-rumped seedeaters in Kenya before... He believe this one to be the black-throated.

The facial markings (supercilium etc.) aren't strong enough for Reichenow's + there appear to be some black smudges on the lower throat/upper breast. I'm going with Black-throated Seedeater (Crithagra atrogularis).

eBird and others call it a black-throated canary...  either way, interesting.
I'm glad I dug into this... Now the finder wont continue considering it to be a native bird and, perhaps, they might look for the owner as well. Hopefully they'll at least bring it in from their yard.

They just got back to me and said it was funny... that "Mass Audi in said pine Siskin!"
If they mean Mass Audubon, I sure hope that they didn't look at all the pictures and they only looked at them on their phone or something.
Personally, the bird had me thinking siskin from certain angles but among other things... that rump... even the bill...  ha... 
Anyway...