Whatbird Community

The Four Most Numerous Birds Species, Worldwide

DLecy

I skimmed the paper curious about the full list of species estimates. For anyone else interested there's an excel spreadsheet that you can download. For those of you w/out excel (like me at the moment) here's a google sheet I imported the data too.

The top 10

1. House Sparrow - 1.62 billion
  2. European Starling - 1.29 billion
  3. Ring-billed Gull - 1.23 billion
  4. Barn Swallow - 1.08 billion
  5. Glaucous Gull - 950 million
  6. Alder Flycatcher - 897 million
  7. Black-legged Kittiwake - 816 million
  8. Horned Lark - 771 million
  9. Sooty Tern - 712 million
  10. Savannah Sparrow - 600 million
15 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I read somewhere before that Red-billed Queleas are the most common undomesticated bird. Interesting that they don't show up here.

Looks like those are #70 with ~95 million

• Like 2

I'd also wager these numbers need a very big grain of salt given the wide ranging bounds. As an example, Northern Pintail is estimated at ~98 million with ~1.3 million lower and 7.8 billion upper bounds. Compared with the birdlife.org estimate from 2012 at 4.7-4.8 million (although it does say the data quality is poor).

I should try and read the actual paper before poking too much more at this.

• Like 1

Glaucous Gull is more abundant than what currently constitutes Herring Gull, despite the latter’s incredibly more-extensive breeding range? That makes no sense.

Note 1: Realize on these maps that they are something like Mercator projections which GREATLY exaggerate the size of high-latitude land areas. Greenland is NOT larger than the US.

Note 2: The maps depict only July ranges.

Note 3: eBird’s HERG map greatly understates the Asian breeding range due to few data.

GLGU: https://ebird.org/map/glagul?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=7&emo=7&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2021

HERG: https://ebird.org/map/hergul?neg=true&env.minX=&env.minY=&env.maxX=&env.maxY=&zh=false&gp=false&ev=Z&mr=on&bmo=7&emo=7&yr=all&byr=1900&eyr=2021

• Like 5