Jump to content
Whatbird Community

(juvenile) - Eastern Phoebe or Eastern Wood-pewee


Recommended Posts

05/21/2021....Dawsonville, GA....morning

several (what I thought were Phoebes) flitting around a fence.  Note - they were not particular vocal.  I originally wrote them off as juvenile phoebes (pic attached is the only good one).  I was looking for longer primary projection (pewee) but I'm not confident I could discern (with certainty) the tail from the primaries in this pic.

 

DSC_1435_EAPH01.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee as I think I see a pretty broad base to the bill and bi-color. A phoebe has unicolor (black) bill that is narrow based. Of course, someone will come one and say it is an unidentifiable flycatcher type or something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Clip said:

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee as I think I see a pretty broad base to the bill and bi-color. A phoebe has unicolor (black) bill that is narrow based. Of course, someone will come one and say it is an unidentifiable flycatcher type or something.

The bill is bi-colored because it's a fledgling.

I'm leaning juvenile Eastern Phoebe because of the brown color.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The bill is bi-colored because it's a fledgling.

I'm leaning juvenile Eastern Phoebe because of the brown color.

Maybe but Sibley's isn't showing bi-color for juvenile. I'm not sure this is a juvenile.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Clip said:

Maybe but Sibley's isn't showing bi-color for juvenile. I'm not sure this is a juvenile.

It's definitely a juvenile, a recently fledged one.  Other things that point to juvenile are the cinnamon wingbars and swollen yellow gape flange.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
reworded
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, AggieBirder said:

I was looking for longer primary projection (pewee)

Eastern Phoebe also has long primary projection.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

I'm not sure this is a juvenile

Since the bird sports obvious rusty wing bars, it is a juvenile.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee

I doubt that there are any fledging Eastern Wood-Pewees at this early date, even in Georgia.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

broad base to the bill and bi-color

Bill color is often different in juveniles as compared to adults.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Hasan said:

Tony is exactly right, there would no fledgling Pewees would be around this early- they only really arrived on their breeding grounds a few weeks ago

It does not take long! The birds in my backyard are already on their second brood including Great-crested Flycatchers that only summer here. I'm in north Florida.

 

12 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I doubt that there are any fledging Eastern Wood-Pewees at this early date, even in Georgia.

It does not take long! The birds in my backyard are already on their second brood including Great-crested Flycatchers that only summer here. I'm in north Florida.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...