Whatbird Community

(juvenile) - Eastern Phoebe or Eastern Wood-pewee

05/21/2021....Dawsonville, GA....morning

several (what I thought were Phoebes) flitting around a fence.  Note - they were not particular vocal.  I originally wrote them off as juvenile phoebes (pic attached is the only good one).  I was looking for longer primary projection (pewee) but I'm not confident I could discern (with certainty) the tail from the primaries in this pic.

DSC_1435_EAPH01.jpg

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee as I think I see a pretty broad base to the bill and bi-color. A phoebe has unicolor (black) bill that is narrow based. Of course, someone will come one and say it is an unidentifiable flycatcher type or something.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Clip said:

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee as I think I see a pretty broad base to the bill and bi-color. A phoebe has unicolor (black) bill that is narrow based. Of course, someone will come one and say it is an unidentifiable flycatcher type or something.

The bill is bi-colored because it's a fledgling.

I'm leaning juvenile Eastern Phoebe because of the brown color.

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The bill is bi-colored because it's a fledgling.

I'm leaning juvenile Eastern Phoebe because of the brown color.

Maybe but Sibley's isn't showing bi-color for juvenile. I'm not sure this is a juvenile.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Clip said:

Maybe but Sibley's isn't showing bi-color for juvenile. I'm not sure this is a juvenile.

It's definitely a juvenile, a recently fledged one.  Other things that point to juvenile are the cinnamon wingbars and swollen yellow gape flange.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
reworded

3 hours ago, AggieBirder said:

I was looking for longer primary projection (pewee)

Eastern Phoebe also has long primary projection.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

I'm not sure this is a juvenile

Since the bird sports obvious rusty wing bars, it is a juvenile.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

I'm actually leaning toward Pewee

I doubt that there are any fledging Eastern Wood-Pewees at this early date, even in Georgia.

2 hours ago, Clip said:

broad base to the bill and bi-color

Bill color is often different in juveniles as compared to adults.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hasan said:

Tony is exactly right, there would no fledgling Pewees would be around this early- they only really arrived on their breeding grounds a few weeks ago

It does not take long! The birds in my backyard are already on their second brood including Great-crested Flycatchers that only summer here. I'm in north Florida.

12 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I doubt that there are any fledging Eastern Wood-Pewees at this early date, even in Georgia.

It does not take long! The birds in my backyard are already on their second brood including Great-crested Flycatchers that only summer here. I'm in north Florida.