Whatbird Community

Posted (edited)

I've seen harnesses mentioned a few times here before. Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations for one that works with both binoculars and cameras. Something like

https://www.cottoncarrier.com/products/g3-grey-binocular-camera-harness

That's the lens I use and wondering how well a setup like this works in practice. Getting tired of carrying 5+ lbs around my neck.

Camera-Harness-Greg_2048x.jpg?v=15623629

Edited by neilpa

Posted (edited)

I looked into getting a harness when I got my lens (I think my camera and lens are the same as yours) and decided against it because 1) they are very expensive and 2) a lot of them looked like they made taking the camera/bins off too difficult (I must have super quick access to my camera!!).  I use a shoulder strap and it's been convenient (my left hand is on my camera and ready to lift it up most of the time) and much better for my neck.  My binoculars are the only thing that puts pressure on my neck, but they are mini binoculars so they barely weigh anything.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

1) they are very expensive and

Yea. If they weren’t so pricey I would’ve already bought it without thinking too much about it.

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I have that brand! It's only for one piece of equipment though.

Do you use it for camera or bins? Do you think it was worth the high price point?

• Like 1

I don't trust my binos to what appears to be a mount strapped around one barrel.  I'd have to actually lay hands on one and see what keeps that from sliding off the end or the strap from working loose.

I'd also like to see how quickly I can remove them from the clip.  Like TBN, I want fast access although for me the binos get priority.

On the other hand, if I could afford a lens like that, I suspect I could find $150 to haul it around.

• Like 1

This is not an endorsement because I have never used one, but Black Rapids harnesses, and others, have sliders so you don't have to remove the camera from the harness to use it, which may be of interest to those wanting quick camera access. I actually have a knock off version of this style which works quite well for my 8+ pounds of camera and lens. Mine is a pain to attach securely and I don't put 100% faith in it, my hand is always on the lens just in case, but it definitely makes moving around with the heavy camera easier and the slider allows for instant access when I want it. I wouldn't recommend a knock off brand unless you can inspect it and try it first or you might have regrets about skimping on a few bucks like I did.  I have no idea how many binoculars come with a tripod mount, so attaching binoculars may be an issue. Just tossing out another option/style to consider, not promoting any particular brand. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neilpa said:

Yea. If they weren’t so pricey I would’ve already bought it without thinking too much about it.

Do you use it for camera or bins? Do you think it was worth the high price point?

Yeah, I think so. It gives me quick access to my camera, and keeps it out of the way. The little pocket on the back works great for a few batteries and extra sim card.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1440816-REG/cotton_carrier_410grey_skout_carrier_for_camera.html/accessories

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yeah, I think so. It gives me quick access to my camera, and keeps it out of the way. The little pocket on the back works great for a few batteries and extra sim card.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1440816-REG/cotton_carrier_410grey_skout_carrier_for_camera.html/accessories

With that harness I carry my bins with the strap that comes with it. Either on my shoulder with my arm resting them when I'm walking, or I put them over my neck but then put my arm though them so that they are hanging at my side.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I use a shoulder strap and it's been convenient (my left hand is on my camera and ready to lift it up most of the time) and much better for my neck.

3 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Just tossing out another option/style to consider, not promoting any particular brand. 

Thanks for the input. This has got me leaning towards a shoulder strip given the simplicity and easy access.

35 minutes ago, neilpa said:

This has got me leaning towards a shoulder strip given the simplicity and easy access.

I can recommend them.  I can only think of a few cons for my shoulder strap:

• The camera swings and bounces on my thigh if I walk without holding it.
  • The strap gets twisted and is sometimes difficult to put on and take off
  • The strap can fall off my shoulder when I lift the camera (maybe I don't have it tight enough or I'm just a small person)
  • The strap for my binoculars occasionally gets caught in the camera strap
  • I don't fully trust the attachment system (but I have a backup safety lanyard and I am frequently checking them)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Not many that I've seen.

I have only seen one, which is the only reason that I know that some of them do come with a tripod mount.  I can tell you that the one I saw was huge and being used for astral viewing, so not sure how practical they'd be for bird watching. 

• Like 1

Binoculars in a chest harness, and the camera on a shoulder harness.  Make sure your harness has a backup connection.  So one part connects to the lens, and the other to the camera.  I had a BlackRapid that wore out and luckily I had my hand on the camera because it popped right out of the connection.  Had I not had my hand on it, it would have fallen to the ground.  The backup strap would be attached to the camera.  I even had the lens and camera come apart and those connections kept them from falling.  I think it was due to, as mentioned above, the camera will bounce on the hip while walking.  

I do have issues sometimes pulling binoculars out of chest case if the camera strap is too low down.  But usually only happens once and then I remember to pull it up.  The only strain on my neck is from looking up.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, chipperatl said:

I do have issues sometimes pulling binoculars out of chest case

My binos came bundled with a chest case.  I found it too cumbersome to dig the glasses out when I wanted them, and the combo took up too much space if I just left the binos out all the time.  I don't plan on mountain climbing or dirt biking, so it will remain at the bottom of a desk drawer until I sell them.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

Posted (edited)

This may be too late for you, but I have the Cotton Carrier for my camera.  It attaches to the tripod ring on my lens.  I also keep the camera strap loosely around my neck for backup.  It is easy to slide it out of the holder for quick shots.  It's a quick twist and lift.  I bought the attachment for the binoculars but I haven't used it yet.  My binoculars are Zeiss and they have a screw for a tripod mount.  

The only downside is that my husband laughs at me 'cause I look like a birding dork. 😕

Edited by Spyonabird

12 hours ago, Spyonabird said:

This may be too late for you

Yea. Although if I don't like the shoulder strap I'll return it and revisit the harness option. At least it's good info for someone else that may find this thread.

12 hours ago, Spyonabird said:

The only downside is that my husband laughs at me 'cause I look like a birding dork.

Hehe. My girlfriend does the same already so I'm just going to lean into it harder

On 6/7/2021 at 6:36 PM, neilpa said:

Thanks to the input in this thread and a bit more research I ended up going with a Black Rapid shoulder harness. Should arrive later this week

Did the Black Rapid have the safety strap also so you have two points of connection?

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, chipperatl said:

Did the Black Rapid have the safety strap also so you have two points of connection?

That what it says in the video. Try 2:14.

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, chipperatl said:

They must have them as standard now.  You had to buy it extra when I had bought mine.

My sport just arrived and it came with the safety strap

Edited by neilpa
Need to look closer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

This arrived yesterday.  I'll see how it does this weekend, and decide which side I want camera and binos on.  I'm starting with binos left, camera right.  The collar is reasonably well padded, much better than the entry-level $25 harnesses I've been using.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454089-REG/op_tech_usa_6501062_dual_harness_uni_loop.html

OP/TECH USA Dual Harness Uni-Loop Version (Regular, Black)

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This arrived yesterday.  I'll see how it does this weekend, and decide which side I want camera and binos on.  I'm starting with binos left, camera right.  The collar is reasonably well padded, much better than the entry-level $25 harnesses I've been using.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1454089-REG/op_tech_usa_6501062_dual_harness_uni_loop.html

OP/TECH USA Dual Harness Uni-Loop Version (Regular, Black)

I just see myself smacking the heck out of those camera lenses with my arms as I walk.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Colton V said:

I just see myself smacking the heck out of those camera lenses with my arms as I walk.

Eh, I've been carrying my camera in a case on my right hip.  I'm used to resting my right arm on top of it, so I'll see if I can rest on the camera.

The binos on the left won't be a problem.  They're in my right hand most of the time.  The harness is just to keep track of them when I'm using the camera, and I won't be walking then.

But we'll see.

• Like 1