Whatbird Community

What is this?

14 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

What feature(s) in this photo rules out Acadian?  I've never seen an Acadian - just trying to learn.

I pondered YBFL vs ACFL for this bird for a bit; they can be a bit tricky to distinguish in certain conditions, and this situation is one of those: having only a single photo to distinguish among Empidonax. Compounding the problem is the odd photo angle -- looking up at it and with the head not in good profile, the primaries not in sharp-enough focus to discern where each tip lies. The apparently yellow color to the throat and upper chest is a good separating character, if it can be trusted. However, the primary projection also looks short for ACFL, which has the longest pp projection of any empie, long enough that it can engender confusion with wood-pewees. Finally, ACFL is quite rare as far north as Green Bay.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

I pondered YBFL vs ACFL for this bird for a bit; they can be a bit tricky to distinguish in certain conditions, and this situation is one of those: having only a single photo to distinguish among Empidonax. Compounding the problem is the odd photo angle -- looking up at it and with the head not in good profile, the primaries not in sharp-enough focus to discern where each tip lies. The apparently yellow color to the throat and upper chest is a good separating character, if it can be trusted. However, the primary projection also looks short for ACFL, which has the longest pp projection of any empie, long enough that it can engender confusion with wood-pewees. Finally, ACFL is quite rare as far north as Green Bay.

Thanks so much.