Whatbird Community

Unknown (?Waterfowl) Call

12 hours ago, floraphile said:

25 Feb 2021 Baldwin co. AL;  quiet, sheltered inlet of small saltwater bay.   The low, short, ascending call (not the Laughing Gulls).

20210225_090510 - Copyed.wav 3.25 MB · 6 downloads

721231891_2021_0225-Copyed2.thumb.jpg.94d0edf44b3bb0368dfc05acb0235520.jpg

I don't have any listed on my checklist for that day, but, in Winter, we do have Ring-billed, Herring, Bonaparte's, and the occasional Franklin's and likely others that I don't know.   Here is my checklist for that day:

Hooded Merganser (Lophodytes cucullatus)  8
Laughing Gull (Leucophaeus atricilla)  65
Double-crested Cormorant (Phalacrocorax auritus)  12
Brown Pelican (Pelecanus occidentalis)  12
Great Blue Heron (Ardea herodias)  1
Great Egret (Ardea alba)  1
Turkey Vulture (Cathartes aura)  2
Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)  2
Red-bellied Woodpecker (Melanerpes carolinus)  1
Tufted Titmouse (Baeolophus bicolor)  2
Purple Martin (Progne subis)  1
Brown-headed Nuthatch (Sitta pusilla)  2
Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus)  2
Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos)  1
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  2

13 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

Except for the NOCA, everything I hear in there is gulls. I'm trying to find a cut of LAGU's 'crooning' call, but am having no luck.

@Tony Leukering--I know you are being helpful, but I need some clarification, please, please, pretty please:  Are you saying the low call is consistent with the crooning call of a LAGU?  

@The Bird Nuts @Tony Leukering I'm not sure if it will be helpful, but there were also these distant groups of gulls that I could not positively ID.  I thought most were LAGU, but there are a couple that appear larger.  Not being well-versed in the finer skills of gull ID, these gulls were not included in my count.   Also, referring the crooning call, would that not be used exclusively during breeding?1532660255_6K7A9093-Copyed.thumb.jpg.e56215498e4aa1effff0dcd4380f5131.jpg

Edited by floraphile
additional info.

I am fairly certain that the low call is a gull vocalization and, I thought, one produced by LAGU. However, I haven’t been around breeding gulls in a long time, so one might take that with at least one grain of salt.

As for the gull sp., you should always eBird them, even if you cannot ID them, particularly for sizable numbers. The paleness and small size ID the two on the right edge of the left bunch as Ringers. All other gulls there look like Laughers.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I am fairly certain that the low call is a gull vocalization and, I thought, one produced by LAGU. However, I haven’t been around breeding gulls in a long time, so one might take that with at least one grain of salt.

As for the gull sp., you should always eBird them, even if you cannot ID them, particularly for sizable numbers. The paleness and small size ID the two on the right edge of the left bunch as Ringers. All other gulls there look like Laughers.

Thank you, Tony.  Your thoughts & explanations are very helpful & appreciated!