Whatbird Community

Yellow-bellied Flycatcher?

4 hours ago, flightman said:

I didn't think that a Great-crested would have a yellow breast and throat, as this one appears to have.

To me it looks like the entire underside is catching some of the greenish color from the leaves. Agree with Great Crested Flycatcher.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Maybe it’s just me but this looks like an empid. Look how small that bill is, and there is no rufous in the undertail. I could be wrong though. 

8 hours ago, Hasan said:

Yes, this is an empid. Not sure where Myiarchus is coming from. Traill's, I'm assuming.

I'm sorry, but I just can't see this as anything but a Great-crested Flycatcher.

1: Rufous tail with white edging - as far as I know no empid has a rufous tail.

2: Distinct yellow belly with gray above it - No empid has that, though I will grant you that in the right lighting, I guess one could look like that.

3: The bill is large, black, and gets paler towards the base - What empid has that?

4: The body shape is all wrong for a empid, even though the photo is making the bird to look odd.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, the throat on this bird looks to be the same shade of (?)yellow(?) as the belly to me. If the (?)yellow(?) colour underneath is being influenced by the leaves, wouldn't it be influencing the throat, chest, and the belly all the same way? If the leaves are influencing the colour of the entire underside of the bird, that would indicate that the throat and belly are similarly coloured, wouldn't it?  If there is no influence from the leaves affecting the underside colours, the throat and belly are still the same colour, aren't they?  I am in agreement with @flightman, I can't see the leaves being responsible for the (?)yellow(?) throat on this bird. I can't offer an ID, but the (?)yellow(?) throat makes it hard to accept as Great Crested Flycatcher. Perhaps @Tony Leukering could add support to his original ID in light of the conflicting opinions being offered.

19 hours ago, flightman said:

I took this poor-quality photo in Oceanside NY in July 2018. It looks too yellow to me to be any Empidonax flycatcher except a Yellow-bellied. Could it be something else?

flycatcher-01.jpg

2 hours ago, Kevin said:

I'm sorry, but I just can't see this as anything but a Great-crested Flycatcher.

1: Rufous tail with white edging - as far as I know no empid has a rufous tail.

2: Distinct yellow belly with gray above it - No empid has that, though I will grant you that in the right lighting, I guess one could look like that.

3: The bill is large, black, and gets paler towards the base - What empid has that?

4: The body shape is all wrong for a empid, even though the photo is making the bird to look odd.

1. The rufous coloration is from the light. The little bit of brown is looking red because it is contrasted against the shaded areas. 

2. A GCFL wouldn’t have a throat that is the same color as it’s belly

3. looks normal empid size to me. The coloration is right too. Many empids have a colored bill base

4. Head shape is way to round for a Myiarchus

• Like 2

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking at the second photo I never even saw the first one!(That's what I get for using the next unread topic.) No wonder I have been sooooo confused! And yeah, I agree that the FIRST bird is not a Great Crested Flycatcher.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! I have been looking at the second photo I never even saw the first one!(That's what I get for using the next unread topic.) No wonder I have been sooooo confused! And yeah, I agree that the FIRST bird is not a Great Crested Flycatcher.

That’s kinda what I figured ? 

• Like 1